Susquehannock spirit starts off strong

Seniors cheer: Seniors Nathan Coulter, Krystal Rose, and Skylar Holtzapple show their spirit at the pep rally. Photo by: Allison Novak

Students of SHS are more excited than ever before to start the 2012-2013 school year off right thanks to a welcoming, exuberant staff, as well as prepared and peppy student clubs and programs.

After the first few weeks of school this year, staff and students alike are beginning to recognize an overall positive vibe from the entire student body.

This change of attitude is credited to a great deal of planning on the part of the SHS staff and student organizations such as Student Council, Link Crew, and the staff’s Spirit Committee.

JC Lewis, member of the Spirit Committee for SHS, explains the committee’s process to help students become more enthusiastic about being a student at Susquehannock High School.

“Well, we started to look a little bit at the spirit days that we have,” said Lewis. “We also, of course put together the Call Me Maybe video, which students seemed to appreciate a lot, so just by doing little things like that to get both the staff and the students involved are what we try to do every day,” said Lewis.

Cheerleaders salute: Cheerleaders stand and sing the alma mater at the pep rally. Photo by: Robbie Pugaczewski

As a teacher, Lewis has begun to see the result of school organizations and programs along with the combination of this year’s students’ enthusiasm.

“I think it’s been more positive this year than it has been,” said Lewis. “And I tribute a lot of that to start of the school year and the assembly on the first day, you know, that goes a long way.”

Students notice the extra effort put into the pep rally.

Sophomore, Clayton Pearlman was very impressed.

“It was exciting because of all the activities with… all the teachers coming out and dancing,” says Pearlman.

SHS principal Dr. Bryson gives a lot of credit to our Student Council.

“I think student council is playing a much more active role in what’s happening in the school and that tends to have a very positive effect,” said Bryson. “You all know what you want… what you don’t want, and you have to have a voice or a way to communicate to me and the other staff what that is, what that looks like, and to work together to sometimes compromise an in-between.”

Senior Kristin Hedgeland, class officer and President for the Class of 2013 makes a point that the involvement of our students in the school is crucial and that this year our students are ready to have an active role in the school.

“I think the freshmen are more willing this year, …ready to step up to the plate and get involved,” says Hedgeland.

With dedication within the staff and students, SHS should continue to have positive energy throughout the entire year.

Seniors celebrate: Some of the senior class gathers together on the gym floor in excitement. Photo by: Allison Novak