Barnhart’s involvement and hard work pays off

By Abigail Bentz

After four years at Susquehannock of clubs, sports and school work, senior Abbey Barnhart will graduate not only as valedictorian but also as a student known for her contributions to the school.

Being valedictorian is impressive enough; however, Barnhart took it a step further. She achieved number one in her class during her freshmen year and has competed for it ever since. While in high school she was a member of Student Council, Class Council, Fellowship of Christian Athletes(FCA) and Future Business Leaders of America(FBLA), along with the National Honor Society. In some of those activities she was selected for a leadership position such as treasurer in both class and student council and a FCA leader her senior year. Student Council advisor and business elective teacher Kellin McCullough has had Barnhart in Council for four years and in class Barnhart’s senior year.

“A lot of kids are involved in activities just to have them on their resumé,” said McCullough. “Abbey is one of those people where I think she is the most involved student in our entire school, and she truly is involved in each of those activities. She puts her whole heart into it, and it’s not like she’s just a member, but she is a contributing leader.”

Staying involved in all of her activities and clubs, while holding her number one spot in her class, should consume every minute of her day; however, Barnhart has found a way to play three varsity sports all four years at Susquehannock. Her freshman and sophomore year she played volleyball, basketball and soccer but from junior year on she played varsity volleyball, basketball and lettered in track and field. Barnhart has earned ten varsity letters during her four years.

Some of Barnhart’s favorite memories were made during her seasons at Susquehannock. Abbey contributed to a volleyball District title her sophomore year. In the same year she played in the state semi-finals. During her junior and senior warrior basketball seasons, she played in the Giant Center for varsity postseason. Many students are in a number of clubs and need to compromise time in order to keep up with the demanding schedule. Barnhart learned early on that prioritizing would be critical if she wanted to be a member of so many clubs and sports, along with staying first in her class.

“Between academics and sports, I’d say that I had an equal balance where both were around the same priority level,” said Barnhart. “Sports definitely took a president over most things, but I needed to realize that the other clubs are equally important and split my time.”

It is difficult to comprehend how Barnhart found enough hours in the day to spend time in everything. Abbey Barnhart’s brother, Matthew Barnhart, is a sophomore in high school and has watched her juggle all of her commitments throughout her four years.

“She really has to manage her time well because she does sports all the time and has a lot of homework so I find her doing homework really late at night because she’s always doing sports and stuff, said Matthew Barnhart. “It’s a challenge for her, but somehow she finds a way to do it.”

It is admirable how someone can hold so many leadership positions and truly commit to them. Barnhart’s refusal to do the bare minimum has allowed her to excel in her academics and athletics. She serves as a role model to her brothers because of her ability to balance her busy schedule.

“She definitely serves as a role model,” said Matthew Barnhart. “She tries so hard at her school work and is so good at all the sports that she does. She’s a really hard worker, and I admire that. She’s always doing something, and when she isn’t doing anything, she’s looking for something else to do.”

Although she has developed her time management and prioritizing skills, it is impossible for anyone with this schedule to live everyday stress free. Barnhart says the most stressful part of the year is not during one of her three varsity seasons, but during spring, specifically AP testing time. In order for her to get through the most demanding time of the year, she turns to her parents for support.

“My parents have really been Abbey’s support system throughout the years because they have really tried to go to every single one of her sports events, and my little brother and I have gone to every sporting event too,” said Matthew Barnhart. “It’s really been a team effort.”

Barnhart, along with the rest of the senior class, will be graduating next month and starting a new chapter of her life this fall. While Susquehannock has been her home, she is excited to move on.

“I definitely am ready to graduate,” said Barnhart. “Because I’ve picked a college, I’m really just looking forward to that now.”

With much debate, she has decided that she will be attending Lebanon Valley College this fall; however, much time was spent considering other universities such as the University of Virginia and Delaware. Other than their remarkable academics, Lebanon Valley has given her the opportunity to play volleyball at a collegiate level. She thoroughly evaluated the school’s atmosphere and several factors that would benefit her before she made her final decision.

“They have a strong program in the major that I want, and I have a very nice scholarship there,” said Barnhart.

Her decided major as of right now is actuarial science. Math has always been Barnhart’s strong subject, so she is excited to pursue a career that involves her strengths. College will bring new memories along with the opportunity to not only expand her knowledge, but to also be exposed to a new group of people.

“I’m most excited to meet new people…getting to focus my studies on something specific,” said Barnhart.

Barnhart’s qualities of time management and outstanding work ethic will help her no matter what path she chooses. Her teachers, friends and family know that she has the recipe to succeed in every aspect of her life.

“I see her being very successful, said McCullough. “I hope that she remembers me when she is really successful. I think Abbey’s going to do great in whatever she decides.”

Susquehannock is proud to have a student as well rounded and dedicated as Abbey Barnhart and will be honored to be able to call her alumni after she graduates this spring.