Susky orchestra takes Boston

Orchestra students made their mark on the famous and historical city of Boston, Massachusetts for the first time this year.

Last year, the Boston trip scheduled was canceled due to the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon. As a result, this year was a little special as the orchestra was able to go to New York City with the band and choir in the fall, a trip it goes on every other year. In the past, students traveled to Cleveland, Ohio, Virginia Beach, and it went on a postponed trip to Boston this spring.

Once in Boston, students participated in some activities together before breaking off into groups. As a whole, students listened to the Boston Symphony Orchestra before taking a master class and performing songs like “Incantations” by Richard Meyer, “American Reel” by Kurt Mosier and “Waltz No. 2” by Dimitri Shostakovich. Also, they explored the science museum together and ate at restaurants like Cheers in Quincy Market and Hard Rock Cafe.

Junior Brooke Manker, a violin player, joined orchestra at a young age and decided to stick with it. She was excited to spend time with friends during her stay in Boston.

“[My favorite part was] probably taking the master class,” said Manker. “I really think I learned a lot.”

The New England Conservatory of Music’s own Charles Peltz taught the master class for the orchestra students. Throughout, Peltz, an ensemble director, instructed students about playing as a whole orchestra and using dynamics to enhance playing.

Though the trip had many group activities, students also got some free time for shopping and other activities with their friends.

Senior Billy Myers, a double bass player, looked forward to the trip to conclude his orchestra career that began in third grade.

“I really liked going shopping with my friends,”said Myers.“We were able to buy some really cool stuff like my new shoes.”

After the students learned all they could from their master class, they performed as an orchestra conducted by Zachary Levi. Levi has been the orchestra teacher for 8 years at Susquehannock. He chose Boston because he knew the city was full of cultural experiences, and the Boston Symphony Orchestra is one of the world’s greatest orchestras.

“I think the students were able to experience a new environment and different culture than they would in this area,” said Levi. “It also gave the students a chance to bond as a group which will help the orchestra grow and advance.”

In the future, Levi hopes to continue taking the orchestra to exciting and cultural cities on the east coast. However, he has not yet announced the trip for next year.