Desean Jackson moves to D.C.

Desean Jackson in Philadelphia. Photo by

The release of Desean Jackson from the Philadelphia Eagles was one of the most memorable drops of the NFL offseason, upsetting many Eagles fans and pleasing Redskins fans.

Jackson is a three time pro bowler. Photo by Matthew Bragg

Jackson had over 1,300 receiving and over 300 all-purpose yards.  The dynamic receiver opens up the field with his ability to get open in a short amount of time.  With a forty yard dash time of 4.35 seconds, he is considered one of the fastest players in the NFL.  With his former team, the Philadelphia Eagles losing in the first round of the playoffs, Eagles fans looked for the same group of players to give it another shot.

On March 28, the Philadelphia Eagles released wide receiver and six-year veteran, Desean Jackson.  It was rumored that they released him due to his gang affiliation with the Los Angeles Crips, other accusations are that Jackson bullied Eagles head coach Chip Kelly.  The NFL Players Association is now investigating the release. On April 2, Jackson was signed to, division rivals, the Washington Redskins with a reported three year deal with 24 million dollars and 16 million dollars guaranteed.

Senior Josh Gladfelter is a long time Eagles fan who believes in the Eagles with whatever decisions they make; he believes in Chip Kelly and the Eagles front office.

“My reaction to the release of Jackson was shock,” said Gladfelter.  “I believe that the first game of the season next year will be very interesting.”  Gladfelter is referring to the Eagles first game of the season where Jackson will be playing with the Redskins against the Eagles.

Junior Colin Kelley is a die hard Washington Redskins fan and is excited about the newly added receiver.

“I was excited at first,” said Kelley.  “He could help us out because he is a deep threat which we didn’t have before, and he will help us stretch the field, open up our run game, and give a boost of speed on special teams.”

The Wide Receiver will be number eleven for the Washington Redskins. Photo by Washington Redskins

History teacher Bill Kerr has been coaching football for more than 15 years and is a big Philadelphia Eagles fan.

“I think it was a smart decision,” said Kerr.  “I heard the rumors that Jackson had been bullying Coach Kelley, the gang related things, and it never really seemed like he wanted to be there, so…this was a smart decision.”

The 2014 NFL schedule has not been released yet, but we know that Jackson will play his former team twice next season.