Selection Sunday stuns fans

College basketball fanatics watched the TV intently on Sunday, March 16 as the NCAA tournament bracket was revealed.

Florida, Arizona, Wichita State, and Virginia all earned No. 1 overall seeds, which came as a bit of a surprise to some fans. Michigan was expected to take the fourth No. 1 seed, but after their loss in Sunday’s Big Ten championship game, the seed respectably went to Virginia, who beat Duke in the ACC Tournament title game on Sunday. Villanova was also “considered very strongly” by selection committee chair Ron Wellman, as well as Michigan. The Cavaliers also have No. 2 Villanova and No. 3 Iowa State in their region.

Coming off a 32-2 season, the Florida Gators swept through their SEC schedule and took down Kentucky 61-60 in Sunday’s tournament final. The Gators are coming off a 26 game winning streak, but to make it to the Final Four, they might have to go through No. 2 seeded Kansas.

The Florida Gators play UCLA on March 27 in the Sweet Sixteen, as a No.1 seed the Gators are projected by many to make it to atleast the Final Four. Photo by: University of Florida (Wikimedia Commons)

Senior Dan Ferraro thinks that Florida is the most experienced team in the tournament and has projected the Gators to win the entire tournament.

“Four out of their five starters are seniors, so they are definitely the most experienced and tournament tested team left,” said Ferraro. “Scotty Wilbiken is one of the best point guards in the nation and Patric Young is just as good as any other post player left.”

Arizona (30-4) tops the West Region as the first seed, although the Wildcats lost to UCLA in the Pac-12 title game on Saturday. No. 2 Wisconsin and No. 3 Creighton are also in the region.

“Point guard Nick Johnson is really solid and can score if they need him to,” said Ferraro. “Aaron Gordon is also a force down low. They have a really good inside outside game.”

The Arizona Wildcats hope to make it farther in the tournament, they play San Diego St. on March 27 in the Sweet Sixteen with the help of guard, Nick Johnson. Photo by: Beaverbasketball (Wikimedia Commons)

The most doubted No.1 seed by far is Wichita State (34-0), who is the top seed of the Midwest Region and is the first undefeated team since 1991. The Shockers could prove everyone wrong though by advancing far in a really tough bracket; they will either have to face No. 7 Kentucky or No. 9 Kansas State early on. No. 2 Michigan, No. 3 Duke, No. 7 Texas and No. 4 Louisville are also in the region.

Along with the No. 1 seeds, many were left confused due to the rest of the bracket. Defending champion Louisville (29-5) earned a No. 4 seed with a win in the AAC championship and a win in 12 out of the last 13 games. The Cardinals were projected to go either as a 1, 2, or 3 seed. Michigan State was also seeded a low No. 4 after winning the Big Ten championship.

Junior Aaron Portner, who has Louisville winning his bracket, was very disappointed with their seeding.

The Louisville Cardinals hoisting the NCAA trophy after a win in last year’s championship. The Cardinals hope to defend their title; they play bitter rival Kentucky on March 28 in the Sweet Sixteen. Photo by: Adam Glanzman (Wikimedia Commons)

“I wasn’t too happy with Louisville’s seeding,” said Portner. “They played well all season and were ranked in the top 5 the whole year, they deserved to be ranked higher.”

Some bubble teams joined the bracket, including North Carolina State, Nebraska, BYU, Dayton, Iowa and Tennessee. The first play-in games were played in Dayton, Ohio with Albany topping Mount St. Mary’s, 71-64, in the opening game of tournament Tuesday night. North Carolina State also topped Xavier in the second game of the night, 74-59. Sophomore guard T.J. Warren led the Wolfpack with 16 of his 25 points in the second half alone.

The first games in the round of 64 will be played on March 20 and March 21 throughout the day. Florida will face now No. 16 seeded Albany at 4:10 p.m on the 20th; Virginia will play No. 16 seeded Coastal Carolina on the 21st at 9:25 p.m.; Arizona will face No. 16 Weber State on the 21st at 2:10 p.m.; Wichita State will play No. 16 seeded Cal Poly on the 21st at 7:10 p.m.

Fans also have incentive to create the perfect NCAA bracket; Warren Buffett, self-made billionaire, has offered $1 billion to any fan that can make the perfect bracket. According to Mercury News, anyone attempting this would have a 1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 chance of winning the cash prize. ESPN has offered a contest like this since 1998, and with over 30 million entries, no one has ever been close to perfecting the bracket.

Although Portner has no shot at winning the $1 billion, he still has his Final Four still perfect which not many fans can say.

“My final four consists of Louisville, Florida, Arizona, and Iowa St.,” said Portner. “Right now all of them are still in the tournament, but who knows what will happen.”

In the next upcoming days, fans will watch every game closely to check their bracket multiple times in hopes of winning the $1 billion prize.

President Barack Obama filling out what he hopes to be his $1 billion NCAA tournament bracket. Photo by: Pete Souza (Wikimedia Commons)