NFl free agency makes a surprising start

The NFL world never stops spinning as free agency recruiting started on March 11.

Usually this is a time for below average teams to sign some big name players in order to excite their fan base.  However, this year has been a bit different.

The teams making early moves are the ones that have been playoff teams for the majority of the past five years. The New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, and New Orleans Saints are among the teams making big moves early.

Going into March 11, everyone was aware of which impact players were going to be available.  Players like Jairus Byrd, Demarcus Ware, and Darrelle Revis were expected to be released by their teams to make room in the salary cap.  All three were given a new home within the first 48 hours of free agency.

Demarcus Ware signed his new  contract with the Denver Broncos after being released by the Dallas Cowboys.  Photo By: Kevin Smith
Demarcus Ware signed his new contract with the Denver Broncos after being released by the Dallas Cowboys. Photo By: Kevin Smith

The first three moves were definitely a surprise.  Senior Garrett Scoone says that the Darelle Revis deal was the biggest shock.

“Revis has been the most surprising,” said Scoone. “It was shocking to see him go to one of his old rival teams.”

Byrd signed with New Orleans, Ware went to the defending AFC champion Broncos, and Revis signed a 1-year contract with his old rival, the New England Patriots.  These teams hope they have added the final pieces to their team in order to win a championship.  All three ended their seasons in the playoffs last year.

We can learn from the past that big deals don’t always end well.  Coach Doug Truscott thinks that one of the smaller deals will have the biggest impact.

“Darren Sproles, because I’m an Eagles fan,” said Truscott. “He is very versatile, and the Eagles need a good third down back.”

Besides the multi-million dollar contracts there have been some smaller deals taking place.  The trade between the Dolphins and 49ers sent Jonathan Martin to San Francisco for a late round draft pick.  Martin was the victim of the self proclaimed bullying scandal that took place in the Dolphins locker room.  This trade will reunite Martin with his college coach Jim Harbaugh.

Steve Smith spent the first 12 years of his career with the Carolina Panthers, now he finds himself as a member of the Baltimore Ravens.  Photo By:  By Keith Allison
Steve Smith spent the first 12 years of his career with the Carolina Panthers, and now he finds himself as a member of the Baltimore Ravens. Photo By: By Keith Allison

Some of the other small free agency signings have been with wide receivers.  Eric Decker and Steve Smith were among the top free agents at their position.  Both are highly respected for being physical receivers.

Decker was a part of the Denver Broncos last season, where he caught passes from Peyton Manning.  The big question now is how will he do with a different quarterback.  For Smith the questions are all about age.  The 34 year old stands at just 5’9, but he can handle his own against the best defenders in the league.  After spending the first 12 years of his career with the Panthers, Smith joins the Baltimore Ravens.

n

“I am glad we signed him because he is exactly what we needed at the wide receiver position,”  Said Brulinski.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announces the next pick in the draft.  Photo By:  By Marianne O'Leary
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announces the next pick in the draft. Photo By: By Marianne O’Leary

The free agency market has slowed down, but it still features some talented players who could find a home before too long.  Defensive players Jared Allen and Chris Clemons are still available and bring a level of experience and leadership to defense.  As for offense, Michael Vick and Santonio Holmes have talents that could help a team in need.

The next big event in the NFL calendar will be the draft, which will take place on May 8.  Teams will look forward to complete their offseason needs by adding some of the best college players in the country.