Coach Lewis leads a new era in Warrior football

The Warrior football team ended its season with a total of three wins, an improvement from past seasons.

Senior Sammy Miller led the team last season with over 1,000 all-purpose yards and was a solid factor in the run game.

Senior Bryan Kerr will also not be back for the Warriors.  As starting quarterback, Kerr was a dominate force at multiple positions with more than 300 yards passing and rushing.  The Warriors will graduate these weapons and many others as they lose 13 other seniors.

As Coach Bill Kerr steps down as the Head Football coach, Math teacher and former assistant coach J.C. Lewis has picked up the job.   The decision was made in late January, as it took three months to find the right man for the position.  Kerr left with a positive influence on the program and will surely be missed.

Lewis is no stranger to the program as he was an assistant coach for more than 3 seasons before the 2013 season.  Lewis took a break to focus on his family last fall, but has already started preparing his players for the upcoming season with voluntary workouts and conditioning.

“Right now we are going through our offensive and defensive strategies with the coaches this week,” said Lewis.  “We are big time in to the weight room, and we have 60 guys signed up for the team. Forty are involved in spring sports, while the other twenty are coming out to the weight room, so it’s great right now.”

Junior and returning starter Ray Wanger believes the workouts are really improving the intensity and preparation for the season.

“I’ve been preparing for the season by lifting with the team and running,” said Wanger. “This season is my last, so I’ve really gotta work to make it my best.”

Junior Nick Deluca has been to almost every workout and is planning to have a successful season this year.

“Everyone who has been coming out has been working hard,” said Deluca.  “Everyone is getting in great shape, and we should be ready for the upcoming season.”

Despite having lost so many seniors and a head coach, the Warriors are getting physically and mentally prepared to make next season one to remember.