Deb Dominick completes her Susquehannock career

Dominick enjoys personalizing her classroom with posters made by students at Susquehannock.

Deb Dominick’s retirement at the end of this year will change the way students at Susquehannock are taught social studies.

Mr. and Mrs. Dominick look forward to retiring together after being coworkers.

Dominick began her career at Susquehannock when she graduated high school as Salutatorian of the class of 1976. Dominick then graduated from Shippensburg State College with a B.S. in Education, and her teaching career began at York County School of Technology.

However, after her children were born, she decided to take off ten years to spend time with them. When her children entered high school, she began subbing here at Susquehannock. Eventually, a history teacher position was opened, and she applied for the job. Since she is a proud Susquehannock grad, her career goal was to end up teaching here.

“I love learning,” said Dominick. “I just love the idea of trying to relay that to others.”

Dominick has held a position in the history department for 14 years and has challenged students to be their very best. From preparing freshman Pre-AP U.S. history students for their high school career, to bringing light to the various cultures of the world, she has dedicated herself to bettering the Susquehannock student body.

Freshman Mackenzie Marzullo enjoys Dominick’s teaching style in her Pre-AP U.S. history course.

“I think she’s a fantastic teacher,” said Marzullo. “She makes you think for yourself, and she’s improved my study skills.”

Throughout the years, Dominick has taught AP U.S. history, pre-AP U.S. history (previously Honors), U.S. history, and global cultures. Currently, she is teaching pre-AP U.S. history, AP U.S. history, and global cultures.

“When I first started out, [my favorite class] was global cultures,” said Dominick. “The more I taught the American history, I think [I enjoy American history more].”

Junior Usha Baublitz had Dominick her freshman year for pre-AP U.S. history and currently is taking global cultures. She thinks that Dominick has made her history classes interesting and beneficial.

“I think she definitely helped the transition for me,” said Baublitz. “[She helped me to go] from middle school to growing up a little bit.”

Dominick and husband, fellow history teacher Joe Dominick, are both retiring this year, just in time to spend time with their young granddaughter, Charlotte.

“[I’m looking forward to] taking care of Charlotte,” said Dominick. “Also, [I’m looking forward to] being able to work in my garden, read a book, or go shopping and not have to think first, ‘Am I prepped for school?’”

However, she will miss her friends and the students. Dominick is very close to English teacher Tamara Kelley, librarian Sandy May, and math teacher Maureen Honeychuck. May first met Dominick when their children were both involved in the Susquehannock music program.

“She’s been a pleasure to work with,” said May. “I’ve learned something myself working with Mrs. Dominick. You always learn something new when working with her.”

Students who experienced history and world cultures with Dominick will definitely miss seeing her in the hallways next year.

Senior Tyler Stull enjoys Dominick’s humor and how she gets to know each student individually.

“I will definitely [miss her],” said Stull. “She’ll definitely go down as one of my favorite history teachers.”