Superintendent Dr. Hensley set to retire

Dr. Thomas Hensley is set to retire at the end of June and plans to spend more time with his family and travel more often. 
Photo By: Terri Reuter
Dr. Thomas Hensley is set to retire at the end of June and plans to spend more time with his family and travel more often. Photo By: Terri Reuter
Dr. Thomas Hensley is set to retire at the end of June, and plans to spend more time with his family and travel more often.  Photo By: Terri Reuter
Dr. Thomas Hensley is set to retire at the end of June, and  he plans to spend more time with his family and to travel.
Photo By: Terri Reuter

Southern York County School District’s superintendent, Dr. Thomas Hensley will retire after 15 years.

At the end of this school year, as of June 30, Hensley’s contract is up, and he will then retire.

Hensley’s involvement within the school district is high, especially in the community whether it be through rotary club, sporting events, or theatre.

Assistant Superintendent Sandra Lemmon is happy for him as he retires.

“He is an incredible leader, mentor, and of course friend,” said Lemmon. “He is truly a role model for many people.”

Hensley was very passionate about each and everything he contributed to the district for he considers this his home as well.

Superintendent Dr. Thomas Hensley gets ready to Sumo Wrestle another school player for Battle of the Buildings.

“I have gotten a great deal of knowledge here within the school district in my past 15 years,” said Hensley. “This is what I would consider my second home and always will be.”

Hensley stated that his position “[is] not just one person’s job;” he mentioned that as a school district we work as a “team.” The team involves administration, teachers, staff, parents, students, and community. “With a team effort it improves student achievement,” said Hensley. “This is the reason we are the Southern Way.”

The Southern Way is a “culture or way of life.” Each and every student is cared for and teachers want to do what’s best for the students, according to

Superintendent Dr. Thomas Hensley gets ready to take on the other schools in the district during the Battle of the Buildings in 2010. Photo By: Terri Reuter
Superintendent Dr. Thomas Hensley gets ready to take on the other schools in the district during the Battle of the Buildings in 2010.
Photo By: Terri Reuter

Hensley.

The school district is ranked in the top five in York County.

“When I first came to the school district, we were ranked in the top ten,” said Hensley. “But now were’

in the top five, which shows everyone that we set goals for continuous improvement and can succeed.”

Many qualities are going to need to found in the new superintendent, while Hensley gets ready to retire at the end of June,

“It’s going to be sad,” said Lemmon. “But we are all going to have to move forward and stick to our goal, which of course is the vision of excellence.”

Hensley plans on spending more time with his family, seeing his two grandchildren more often, and also traveling and going on vacation with his wife.