Amidst signing new players, O’s impress in spring training

Finishing last season with a record of 85-77, the Baltimore Orioles are back at work in Sarasota, Florida for spring training with returning players and even some new faces in the mix.

Over the off-season, first-baseman Chris Davis and the Orioles agreed to a one-year contract worth $10.35 million according to ESPN reports. Davis made $3.3 million last year and led the majors with 53 home runs and 138 RBIs (runs batted in). The All-Star slugger is scheduled to be a free agent after the 2015 season.

All-Star Chris Davis swings his bat in a regular season game last year, Davis finished last season with 53 home runs. Photo by: Mr. Schultz (Wikimedia Commons)

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it everyday — I love being in Baltimore,” Davis said according to ESPN. “This has been a place that’s really felt like a second home to me. Just thinking about Opening Day last year, it’s hard not to fall in love with this city and the fan base. The fans really understand the game of baseball, so I’d love to stay here.”

Another familiar face at camp was third-baseman Manny Machado, who led O’s fans anticipating whether the injured player would be rehabilitated before Opening Day. Four months after having left knee surgery, the All-Star fielded ground balls and took batting practice.

Orioles’ third baseman Manny Machado hopes to recover quickly from his knee injury and be able to start playing as soon as the season starts. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia Commons)

“I’m going to try to play as many games as I can. If I miss the first week or two weeks or whatever it may be, once I get going, I’m not going to stop,” said Machado to ESPN reporters. “I’m going to keep going and play.”

Machado injured his knee at Tampa Bay on Sept. 24 running the bases, and he’s changed the way he runs to avoid future injuries. He’ll have another medical examination in a month, and if all checks out, the slugger will be then allowed to play in games.

Manager Buck Showalter estimates that Machado will need about 2 weeks of exhibition play before he’s ready to play. Showalter vowed not to nag the third baseman about being ready and said that he will rely heavily on Machado for word when he’s ready to play.

“I can’t overdo it at this point,” said Machado according to ESPN. “To go out there and be limited on what I need to be doing in what I can do, it’s tough. It’s not an easy thing to do.”

Senior Jake McDonnell is excited for this year’s team.

“This has definitely been the most exciting spring training by far,” said McDonnell. “The signing of Cruz is huge and and Jiminez as well.”

Last season, Baltimore starting pitchers ranked 12th in the American League after posting a 4.57 ERA (earned run average). To help out the starting rotation, the Orioles agreed to a four-year, $48 million contract with starting pitcher, Ubaldo Jiminez. Besides the money, the O’s also had to give up their No. 17 overall pick in the 2014 MLB amateur draft according to reporters.

With only one half-season of quality pitching under his belt, some fans believe that the Orioles may have spent a little too much on the right-hander. Jiminez first got his start in the majors with the Colorado Rockies in 2007 and even earned a start in the 2007 World Series against the Boston Red Sox. He signed with the Cleveland Indians in 2011 and started to struggle, providing little help to the organization.

In the last half of the 2013 season with Cleveland, Jiminez returned to his dominant ways, going 6-5 and recording an ERA of 1.82; he also struck out 100 batters in only 84 innings pitched. If Jiminez can produce a full season similar to the last half of the 2013 season, the Orioles have a very good chance of being legitimate playoff contenders.

“Jiminez has been really inconsistent in the past,” said McDonnell. “I really hope he delivers for us because we spent so much money on him.”

Another off-season pickup for the Orioles includes free agent, Nelson Cruz according to USA Today. Along with his one-year $8 million contract, his deal also includes $750,000 in incentives and makes Cruz the Orioles’ primary designated hitter. Cruz batted .266 with 27 homeruns and 76 RBIs in 109 games last season when with the Texas Rangers. He then suffered a 50-game suspension for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal that surrounded the

Baltimore’s new pickup Nelson Cruz hopes to impress O’s fans this year, slowly recovering from his involvement in the biogenesis scandal. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia Commons)

MLB.

Senior Sam Miller feels that the Orioles made a good decision in signing Cruz.

“If he stays healthy and stays out of trouble, he should be a key player in the organization,” said Miller. “I still think he’ll have 20+ home runs and 80+ RBIs either way.”

With already a hefty line-up of big hitters, including Davis, Machado, and center-fielder Adam Jones, the signing of two-time All-Star outfielder Cruz is sure to bolster the starting lineup. Cruz has spent the last 8 seasons with the Rangers and is one of seven right-handed hitters who have hit at least 20 homeruns in each of the last five seasons, according to ESPN.

In the Orioles’ first spring training game against the Tampa Bay Rays, Chris Tillman pitched two scoreless innings to help the O’s edge the Rays 4-2 according to CBS Baltimore. Tillman allowed one hit, walked none, and struck out three Rays’ players. In Baltimore’s second game against the Toronto Blue Jays, they were able to score seven runs in the eighth inning alone to beat the Jays 9-7 at Ed Smith Stadium. Right-fielder Francisco Peguero had a three-run triple to help the O’s to victory according to GantDaily.com.

On Sunday, March 2nd the Orioles were unable to prevail against the Boston Red Sox losing 8-6, despite scoring five runs in the ninth inning. Baltimore’s top prospect, Jonathan Schoop knocked in two of those runs with a double in the ninth according to NESN.com. On Monday, March 3rd the Orioles fell to the Minnesota Twins 9-2, despite first-baseman Chris Davis’ first home run of spring training. Finishing the season last year with 53 home runs, Davis was able to put Baltimore on the board with his deep ball to center field according to WBALTV.com. Bud Norris started for the Orioles and threw two scoreless innings, while teammate Kevin Gausman followed and gave up one run on two hits.

Orioles’ starting pitcher Bud Norris throws the ball in a regular season last year, Norris has impressed fans in Spring Training so far. Photo by: Keith Allison (Wikimedia Commons)

“This season is going to be tough because we are in the AL East,” said McDonell. “I think the Yankees will be at the same level as the O’s and that the Red Sox will be on top once again. I think we have a 70% shot at the postseason.”

With a new and healthy starting rotation, O’s fans hope that with new players among the veterans that this season will be the year that the Orioles will make a long postseason run.

“We’re not trying to be in first place in August, in July, in June,” Machado stated. “We’re trying to make the playoffs, and to do that, we need to be mentally ready and physically.”