The truth about talking about others

As a school day goes by, have you ever heard, “Why are you wearing that?” or how about, “Can you believe what she’s/he’s wearing?” Sometimes hurtful statements slide off the tongue faster than the “Pledge of Allegiance.” It’s even spoken in front of teachers, and even teachers are being spoken bad about. If people can easily talk about others, judge people, and think it is just a daily conversation, we need to change.

This is a bully free school!
Photo by: Wikimedia Commons

Junior Noah O’Brian thinks that bullying is a necessary evil to go through in high-school.

“Yes, it’s a problem in every school. We’re in high school; it’s going to happen,” said O’Brian.

Sometimes being a friend is more important.
Photo by Wikimedia Commons

If you have to judge someone for anything, it is childish, especially if you are their friend. Friends are supposed to pick you up when you are low, not tear you down. Sophomore Sara Hendrix thinks that the outcome can have a difference with the people that they “hang” around. Hendrix has stood up for her friends before and said that it felt good to be there for a friend. Hendrix thinks a way to help save schools from bullying is to not talk about them.
“Don’t talk bad about people, and trust people,” said Hendrix.

Either way, it’s not okay. What you say and do throughout your life affects every moment in the future, including every person around you. Whatever you said and did that day makes a difference for the rest of their life (or lives.)

One day when that person wakes up and can not take all the words, all the looks, all of everything that you, or someone, said about them- they will snap.

It's time to stomp out bulluing! Photo by: Wikimedia commons
It’s time to stomp out bullying.
Photo by: Wikimedia Commons

To stop bullying, embrace your fellow students. Standing up against bullying is not hard, and it can be accomplished with just a simple, “Leave her/him alone.” If a bullying situation turns wrong, reach out to a teacher for help.  If a student is in need, do not be afraid to lend a hand to help change a person’s life.