Boys volleyball team prepares to spike the competition

After last year’s 6-6 record, the boys volleyball team is ready to start working hard to improve in their upcoming season.

Biweekly open gyms began in October for boys interested in trying out for the team, and starting in February, open gyms started occurring two times a week. They will continue  on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:00 p.m. in the middle school gym to prepare the team.

Sophomore Will Earls has attended open gyms to prepare for his tryout like many other players.

“I think [open gyms] are to give new players the opportunity to get experience,” said Earls. “It helps us get ready for the new season.”

Tryouts will be held on March 3, but some players, like junior AJ Schaeffer, play club volleyball in the off-season to get ready for their Susquehannock season.

“[Club volleyball] certainly does benefit me because it’s just a few more months of playing,” said Schaeffer. “Others may not get the opportunity to play [during the off-season].”

The head coach, Tim Bonitz, is looking forward to a season of coaching his team to perform at a high level. Assistant coach and chemistry teacher Jennie Bonitz is also excited for the season and getting back in the gym with the tight-knit team. They both have high hopes for the season.

“We like to push our kids to be pleased with what they do, but never satisfied,” said Tim Bonitz. “You can be good, or you can be great.”

Last year, only two players, Alex Miller and Timothy Frey, graduated, so the team has retained most of its past players. The team also lost German foreign exchange student, Tobias Thiesse, who joined the team during his American stay last year. Also, nine of last year’s freshmen, now sophomores, will return to play on the team.

“Our strength is in the team’s ability to work together. I think we’re a close-knit team on the court,” said Jennie Bonitz. “I don’t think we have any big egos or attitudes.”

The team’s weakness, according to Jennie Bonitz, is that it does have some problems getting players to try out because in the spring, there are a lot of sports to choose from like track, baseball, and lacrosse. Schaeffer agrees but adds that the team sometimes struggles with defense.

“We’re trying to get a lot of young faces out,” commented Schaeffer. “[We want to] introduce them to the sport.”

This season, three girl volleyball players will be managing the team. Sophomore Kelly Franz, junior Abigail Bentz, and junior Kerrie DeFelice are excited to help out the boys and improve their own skills. Bentz and DeFelice managed the team last year, but Franz is new to the manager position.

“I’m looking forward to playing with the guys because it will make me better,” said Franz. “I’m excited to go to their games and watch.”

The season will begin with a scrimmage on March 8 at Central Dauphin High School involving nine teams, some of the best in the state. This year is the first that Susquehannock is invited to compete, and the team will be able to have one week after try-outs to practice working as a team before it enters the competitive scrimmage. The scrimmage begins at 8:30 a.m. for anyone wishing to attend, and  is guaranteed to be an eventful, exciting day full of friendly camaraderie.

“It will be a great challenge for us very, very early in the season,” said Tim Bonitz. “We’ll know what we’re going to be up against.”

For information on where and when the team is competing, check this website. Players are looking to make counties and hopefully districts despite the tough competition.