“12 Years a Slave” is a masterpiece

12 Years a Slave

Directed by Steve McQueen

Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong’o

134 mins

Director Steve McQueen has just released the best movie of the year.

McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave, the adaptation of Solomon Northup’s autobiographical book of the same name, showcases horribly violent acts in a beautiful way.

The film follows Solomon (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a free black man stolen into slavery in 1841. He is sold to plantation owner William Ford (Benedict Cumberbatch), a fairly benevolent man. Because of trouble with a worker at the plantation, Solomon is traded to Edwin Epps (Michael Fassbender). There he meets an array of people, most notably Patsey (Lupita Nyong’o), a slave that Master Epps covets. Eventually, of course, Solomon is freed, but the experiences he has lived through stay with him.

Chiwetel Ejiofor smiles at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival.
Photo by: David Shankbone

Brutality is everywhere in 12 Years a Slave. Long shots of beatings and whippings push the boundaries of what can be watched. In one powerful scene, Solomon is hanged from a tree, but where he can barely reach the ground. He stays there for hours, clinging to life. Eventually, other slaves go about their duties in the background, not daring to help. Children play behind him. The emotional weight of this scene, and others, create a product that makes viewers feel and yearn for the characters.

Chiwetel Ejiofor delivers a powerful performance as Solomon. His way of expressing complex emotions simply through a facial expression or intonation is dazzling. Through the entire movie, Ejiofor carries the role with grace. When he cries and when he sings, the performance is so true, so human, that it redefines what a film can accomplish.

The real breakout star of 12 Years, however, is Lupita Nyong’o with her riveting performance as Patsey. She has the ability to add depth and light to any scene. There is no way to overstate how beautiful her role is in this movie, her first feature film. Nyong’o’s rare talent shines through in every scene.

Lupita Nyong’o smiles  at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
Photo by: gdcgraphics

Supporting roles were also unusually strong in the film. Sarah Paulson of American Horror Story plays Epps’ envious wife who isn’t any better than he. Paul Dano of Prisoners plays a racist carpenter on Ford’s plantation. Veteran actress Alfre Woodard makes an appearance as Mistress Shaw, a slave of high status because of a white man’s affection.

What makes 12 Years a Slave so stunning and unprecedented is that McQueen lets each character become his or her own person, with individual goals and personalities. McQueen’s stark, improvisational style gives a beauty to awful acts. The sets and costumes are rich and storied, adding to the quality of the film.

Music is the most important part of the background makeup in 12 Years. The title theme, called Solomon, by Hans Zimmer is melancholy and gives the movie a powerful rawness. Spirituals while the slaves work and mourn are perfectly done, like Roll Jordan Roll, performed by Topsy Chapman and Ejiofor.

Michael Fassbender grins at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
Photo by: GabboT

12 Years a Slave is nominated for several Oscars this year. It is expected to win best picture for the stunning work put into it. Ejiofor is nominated for best actor in a leading role, and is very popular among other candidates. Nyong’o is earning support for a win as best supporting actress. Michael Fassbender is nominated for best supporting actor for his work as Master Epps, a sadistic and evil man. 12 Years is also nominated for best directing, best costume design, best editing, best production design, and best adapted screenplay. Simply put, this film is incredible and is among the best movies ever made.

Rarely does a film reach the status of being a must-see, one necessary to experience at some point in one’s life. However, director Steve McQueen, in his own incredible way, has made a movie that is urgent and emotional- it is that good.

12 Years a Slave is relentlessly brutal, but also smart, poignant, and brilliant. Do yourself a favor and see this film- an instant classic- immediately.