Earth Club helps students enjoy the world around them

CIMG1687
Photo By: Elise Delozier
Walking up the tower stairs, one can see an Earth Club flyer.

Students may have seen the green and white posters around the building for the Earth Club’s meetings, but many do not know what they’re really missing out on.

Earth Club is a student-run service organization with an important purpose: to help the environment.

Science teacher Kyle Jane said students came to him wanting to start the club. “People can join at anytime; the only requirement is that you show up,” said Jane.

Meetings for Earth Club take place every other Wednesday in Jane’s room (room 220).  Meetings consist of figuring out spring and fall activities by

Photo by Wikimedia commons
Photo by Wikimedia Commons

searching online for ways to promote earth friendly ideas to the school. Also during the meetings, they do small activities to build environmental awareness and recyclable materials.

Jane wants his students to become more aware with what is around them and what can happen if they help the environment. Each year they discuss new projects and pick two big projects every year. One of their older projects was successfully getting recycling in the school. They now keep track of how much our school recycles and consumes. Twice a year they clean up the road around the school, and this year their spring project is to make chairs out of recyclable material and donate them to the school.

Senior Megan Burns is a committed member in Earth Club,  joining the club with her friend when she was a freshman. Burns wants more to come to Earth Club Meetings.

“We learn new things, and it’s a good way to meet people,” Burns said. “You get to make new friends. That’s always fun.”

Senior Karina Ernst joined the club three years ago with the full intention of making the environment better. Ernst attends the meetings every other Wednesday.

“A good memory from Earth Club was… when we had a Christmas party. We did crafts, and we all wore ugly sweaters,” said Ernst.

Ernst went on to explain that the club is “really fun, and we have a awesome advisor.”

Both Ernst and Burns encourage more people to come to Earth Club.

“It’s a good time,” said Burns. “You feel good about yourself because you’re helping the earth, and it’s not a strict club.”

With more projects on the way, the club is searching for people who have a environmental interest or who want to learn more about the world around them. The Earth Club is located in Jane’s room 220. The meetings are held every other Wednesday until 4:00 p.m.; the next meeting will be held on February, 5, 2014.

Photo by Wikipedia commons
Photo by Wikipedia Commons