Susquehannock couples plan for this year’s Valentine’s Day

Susquehannock couples plan for this years Valentines Day

The celebration of Valentine’s Day began in the 1700’s, and while some traditions may have changed, the couples of Susquehannock will keep the holiday alive through our hallways.

It was common by the middle of the 18th century for all social classes to exchange small tokens of affection or handwritten notes. By 1900, printed cards began to replace written letters due to improvements in printing technology. Following Christmas, Valentine’s Day is said to be the second card-sending holiday of the year.  According to today’s Greeting Card Association, an estimated 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are sent each year. A portion of that 1 billion will be received here at Susquehannock this February.

Whether it is a blooming relationship, long term commitment, or simply a crush, Valentine’s Day has become a day revolved around loved ones. Seniors Sadie Leslie and Mike Jones have been dating for one year and four months this February.

“[We met] in AP Human Geography,” said Leslie. “We did a project together at Starbucks.”

Leslie and Jones plan to keep it simple this Valentine’s Day.  Their Friday will consist of dinner and a movie. Jones insists on including flowers in their plans.

Sadie Leslie and Mike Jones have been dating for 1 year and 4 months. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

While Leslie and Jones are approaching their year and a half anniversary, junior Brooke McGee and senior Michael Spadafore have reached their one month in January.  McGee and Spadafore met two years ago in Mrs. Eisenhart’s Algebra II class. McGee is looking forward to this Valentine’s day.

“I guess I will get candy and chocolate from him,” said McGee. “We have the King of Hearts pep rally that day. So that will be fun.”

As for that evening, Spadafore seems to have it all planned out.

“I’m going to buy her chocolate and maybe a big teddy bear,” said Spadafore. “And then take her out on a nice romantic date to a restaurant.”

Brooke McGee and Michael Spadafore approach their 2 months this Febuary. Photo by: Abigail Bentz

Valentine’s Day holds the tradition of flowers and chocolate, but it seems to mean more to some. Going away from simple cards, the holiday has revealed elaborate gifts and surprises. Even couples that have celebrated numerous Valentine’s Days together find a way to celebrate in a unique way.

Teachers Chris and Kate Newland, married for five years, plan on celebrating the holiday twice, a week ahead with dinner, and then again the following weekend with other couples.

“We are going out to dinner the weekend before Valentine’s Day to 21 South,” said Newland. “It’s a unique restaurant in downtown York. We know both the owners and the cook, and they put on a very eclectic meal for the couples.”

Some may spend their holiday celebrating with their spouse, girlfriend, or boyfriend, while others may reserve their February for their family members. No matter what, Valentine’s Day today has become more than just flowers and chocolate, allowing people to show appreciation for the ones they love.