Ice hockey skates to success

Ice hockey skates to success
Passing Drills during warm-ups Photo by Gail Prego
Photo by: Grace Prego
Players get comfortable on the ice.

Not commonly known by many students, the combined  (students from both Susquehannock and Kennard Dale) ice hockey team is starting the new year with the goal of more victories and a post-season run.

The team is not school sanctioned, which means it is not actually a school sport where the school provides the equipment. The team still plays the same competition they would if they were a school sport.

SHS ice hockey is a combination of Susquehannock and Kennard-Dale students due to lack of players from both schools.  The squad plays at the York City Ice Arena throughout the week, playing teams from York to Harrisburg.

Warm-ups with Warrior Ice Hockey Photo by Gail Prego
Warm-ups begin for the Ice Hockey team. Photo by Gail Prego

Shooting Drills during warm-ups Photo by Gail Prego
Shooting Drills during warm-ups help players focus before the game. Photo by Gail Prego

The team is coached by Jamie Paige, and many SHS students are key players on the team.  Members include: senior center Cullen Schwenson, sophomore wing Jake Shelton, sophomore defender Nick Prego, and senior goalie Alex Prego.  The team has had a fair season so far with a season record of 5-6-1.

Team leader Schwenson is a dominate force on the ice with 15 points this season so far.

“So far this year, I’m pretty happy,” said Schwensen. “We are improving as a team which is getting us wins.”

Nic Prego leads the team in points with 17 on the season.

“This season is going well so far,” said Prego. “We are improving as we go on with the season.”  Both believe that they will go far in the post-season because of the team’s potential and talent.

A question many local hockey fans may have is why the sport is not school sanctioned.

“I believe it’s due to the lack of popularity because the state is not a hot bed for hockey,” said Prego, while Schwenson believes it is due to lack of funds.

Gym Teacher Tony Sorice is a long time ice hockey fan.

“It’s stupid we don’t have a team,” said Sorice, “but [it’s] understandable why due to the cost of equipment, the liability, and the problem with the ice time.”

The question of when, or ever, the sport will be school sanctioned is still up for question.