Winter activities entice students

Photo By Paata Vardanashvili (www.paata.ge) from Tbilisi, Georgia (Bakuriani) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Skiers enjoy the slopes.

Many students are looking forward to local winter activities in these upcoming months.

Some options in the area are the York City Ice Arena, Ski Roundtop and AvalancheXpress.

York City Ice Arena is a great place to go when looking to have a great time. They have public skate sessions almost every weekend with one session taking place during the day from 1:30-3:00 p.m. and one at night from 7:30-9:30 p.m. Lessons are also available for beginners. They play music during the public skating and have a concessions bar. Admissions are $5, and skate rentals are $3. Directions are available here.

Senior Alex Prego plays for an ice hockey team there, has attended one of the public skates and thoroughly enjoyed his time there.

“They have really good food,” said Prego. “I like their french fries. They play good music, and it’s always a good time. It’s a good way to hang out with your friends.”

AvalancheXpress, also in the area, is a great place to go to to ice skate or snow tubing.

AvalancheXpress has a tentative opening date around December 20. They offer both ice skating and snow tubing. A variety of tubing passes are available. They have season passes which are $60. Also offered are one night passes which are $18 and tubing and skating combo passes that range in price based on the day and can be found on AvalancheXpress’s website. Skating is $6 on weekdays and $8 on weekends and holidays with a $3 skate rental. Directions are available here.

Junior Maddie Kroner loves snow tubing at AvalancheXpress.

“I go there every year at least once, and it’s always a lot of fun,” said Kroner. “It’s really nice there. They have big hills and a lift, so you don’t have to drag your tube up. I for sure plan to go back again this year.”

Many students including the ski club also enjoy going to Ski Roundtop .

Ski Roundtop offers a local place to go skiing, snowboarding, and snowtubing. There are a variety of hills to ski and snowboard on, and they even offer lessons to beginners for $39. Season passes are available for $369 for season night passes and $649 for regular season passes that can be used night or day. Rentals are $40 for both ski and snowboard and $12 for a helmet.

Snow Tubing at Ski Roundtop goes for 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekdays, noon to 10:00 p.m. on Fridays and 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. All day passes for tubing range from $21-$30 depending on the day. Season passes are for sale at $69. Directions are available here.

Special education teacher and ski club leader Kristin Johnson highly recommends Ski Roundtop.

“I like going there because it’s local, close to home and has some really nice slopes,” said Johnson. “The price is definitely worth it because you get two other mountains included in it. I’m going up four times to go snowboarding with the ski club. It’s a nice place and a lot of fun.”