Warrior Charge benefits elementary kids

Members of the band, cheerleading and football teams participated in an event, Friday November 1 called the Warrior Charge, designed to encourage elementary school kids to read more.

Students from some of the fall sports included in the event travelled to Shrewsbury, Southern, and Friendship Elementary to read to kids in all grade levels and to help them aspire to read themselves. The idea sprouted from Friendship Elementary Principal Beth Koontz who teamed up with high school assistant principal James Hollinger who helped in organizing the event.

“It didn’t take any extensive effort in helping to organize the event,” said Hollinger. “I contacted the coaches who then recruited kids that would like to help out, and after that we got together permission slips, buses and figured out times that would work for all of the schools.”

On the morning of Friday, November 1 which coincidentally was senior night for the fall sports, teammates banded together and took time out of the school day to go and read to the young elementary school kids. Dressed in their uniforms, the students set out to all three schools on a mission to inspire those in elementary school to enjoy reading and to read more.

Junior cheerleader Hannah Steinauer saw the many benefits that the Warrior Charge gave students.

“It was a great opportunity to go back and see how the elementary schools have changed and to revisit our old teachers,” said Steinauer. “We also got to be role models for the kids still in elementary school and to have them look up to us was a great benefit.”

On the other hand, senior band leader Jessica Voltaggio saw how the event benefited the elementary kids.

“Kids in elementary school look up to us,” said Voltaggio. “Although they might not think reading is important, it is, and it was great to show them how it can be cool and used in a lot of life’s situations.”

Although this was the first year that the Warrior Charge was held here at Susquehannock, head football coach and history teacher Bill Kerr shares how great it would be to continue it.

“They should absolutely continue the Warrior Charge in the next years,” said Kerr. “It would be great to even expand this event to other sports. Everyone should have an opportunity to be role models for the younger children and to help give back including the winter and spring sports.”

With a successful first year down, the Warrior Charge will hopefully be continued in the future for the sake of not only elementary school kids but also for high school students as well.