Apple releases new phones and operating system

Apple released their new operating system, iOS 7, on Wednesday, September 18 along with the new iPhone 5s and 5c which became open to the public on Friday, September 20.

The translucent look of the new iOS 7 operating system.
The translucent look of the new iOS 7 operating system is very different from the iOS 6 operating system.

iOS7 provides many new features to Apple users that Apple claims will make them “wonder how [they] ever did without.” The goal for Apple when designing this system was to not only revamp the style and look of Apple products but to also make them simpler, more useful, and overall more enjoyable to use.

New features to this operating system are iTunes radio, AirDrop, the control center, the ability to block unwanted calls and messages, FaceTime audio calling, Wi-Fi HotSpot 2.0 support, and find my iPhone activation lock. Similar to Pandora and Spotify, iTunes radio allows users to explore new music through channels organized by genre or artist and instantly purchase any favorable songs. The new control center provides instant access to many useful tools such as the flashlight, clock, calculator, camera, the ability to control music, brightness, airplane mode, wifi, bluetooth, do not disturb settings, and portrait lock settings. AirDrop is also a new setting that provides the user with the ability to instantly share things with the people around them.

iTunes radio lets users listen to music and instantly buy anything they like.

Senior Ronald Robinson likes the convenience of the new control panel.

“The control panel is my favorite feature from iOS7,” said Robinson. “It puts everything I use right there where I can get to it easily. I like how you can even get to it while the screen is locked.”

The control panel puts everything you need right in one convenient place.

Along with all these new features many improvements were made to existing programs and the overall look of the operating system. Apple used a new color palette, typography and layers with translucency to make the old design almost unrecognizable. Also among the improvements are a revamped multitasking system to make it easier for the user to switch between tasks, new camera features and filters, more usability with Siri being able to change settings, the ability to see popular apps in different locations on the app store, mail improvements, and video improvements.

Social Studies teacher Kevin Lawrence is very disappointed with the new operating system.

“I don’t like the new calendar feature. The interface is not usable,” said Lawrence. “I use this feature the most, and I am very disappointed with the new set up of it. I don’t like the color scheme and all of the white that is used everywhere and within the calendar. The new operating system is not easier or more convenient to use.”

iOS 7 now allows users to easily view there calendar and plans for the day.

To go along with this new system Apple has also came out with new features on the new iPhone 5s and 5c. Not only does the iPhone come in white and black, but now there is a gold, silver and space gray iPhone 5s and a variety of colors in the 5c. The iPhone 5c provides a cheaper but still up to date option for many users who aren’t willing to shell out the cash for the more expensive 5s. It provides all of the features of an iPhone 5 only in a plastic colored casing.

As for new features, the iPhone 5s includes a Touch ID fingerprint identity sensor, an A-7 chip with 64 bit architecture, iSight camera and LTE wireless. Touch ID fingerprint allows the user to lock their phone without the hassle of putting in a passcode. Apple claims that “with iPhone 5s getting into your phone is faster, easier and a little futuristic.” The new A-7 chip gives the iPhone CPU and graphics performance two times faster than the current A-6 chip. The A-7 chip makes the iPhone 5s the only 64 bit smart phone in the world. iOS 7 was specifically designed to go with the A-7 chip in the 5s, taking full advantage of all the chip has to offer.

Senior Apple User Bryna Mullins plans to upgrade to the new iPhone 5s.

“I love how the 5s now comes in gold, and I’m so excited to get it,” said Mullins. “I think the fingerprint scanner will be so much more convenient than having to type in a passcode.”

With the new improvements from Apple in their operating system to the release of the new iPhone 5c and 5s, it has been a big week for Apple and their users.Screen shot 2013-10-04 at 8.07.47 AM Screen shot 2013-10-04 at 8.06.50 AM