Football starts off the season right

The varsity football team started off a new season with a senior night win against Kennard Dale, 27-18, to end their season with one win.

Coach Bill Kerr is back, coming off an upsetting record of 1-9 last season. The underdog team has a veteran roster including: senior running-back and safety, Sammy Miller; senior receiver and cornerback, Steven Nalls; senior linebacker and receiver, Luke Knott; senior quarterback, Bryan Kerr; senior offensive tackle and defensive-end, Logan Foore; and senior center and defensive tackle, Adam Dell.

“There is a large number of returning starters on both offense and defense,” said Coach Kerr. “That 1 year experience definitely helps the team.”

Going into their first game against host York Suburban, Coach Kerr was not at all phased by the fact that he was playing his ex-team on their home turf.

“It’s been four years since I’ve coached for Suburban,” said Kerr. “… it [won’t] have any effect on how we prepare for the game.”

Coach Kerr was right; Susquehannock dominated York Suburban 26-7 for their first victory of the season. The Warriors took over the game in the second half and scored 26 unanswered points against the Trojans.

Miller caught a 23-yard pass from Bryan Kerr in the third quarter to keep rolling over the Trojans.

“We played well, especially in the second half,” said Miller. “In the first half we tried to establish the run game, and [we] made adjustments for the second half.”

The Trojan defense kept Bryan Kerr limited to only one completed pass and less than 30 yards running in the first half, but he would not stay quiet for long. In the second half, Bryan Kerr intercepted Trojan quarterback Thomas Merkle’s first pass and returned it to the Trojan 20-yard line. On the next possession for the Warriors, Bryan Kerr broke two tackles on a scramble play to run the ball 70-yards to the end zone.

“We passed the ball well,” said Miller. “Our pass blocking was a lot better than our run blocking. We need to work on sticking on our blocks and [getting] our skill guys out in the open.”

After the lead was taken over by the Warriors, they never gave it up. Bryan Kerr added in another interception, another rushing touchdown and another touchdown pass to receiver Steven Nalls. Bryan Kerr finished the game with 106 yards passing, 119 yards rushing and 6 completed passes out of 10.

Miller completed the game with 48 yards rushing and two catches for 47 yards.

Nalls finished with four catches for 59 yards.

Injured senior Sam Alls waves the Warrior flag during the game to help pump up the away crowd.
Photo by: Ibe Naber
Quarterback Bryan Kerr runs the ball down the field; this run was one of many. Kerr finished with 119 yards rushing.
Photo by: Ibe Naber
The Warriors  scored on this drive to increase their lead against the Trojans.
Photo by: Ibe Naber
Senior Sammy Miller runs the ball; he totaled 48 rushing yards.
 Photo by: Ibe Naber
Senior Bryan Kerr gets ready to receive the snap.
Photo by: Ibe Naber
Senior Steven Nalls breaks a tackle to run the ball down the field.
Photo by: Ibe Naber