How to adjust to college

With this school year winding down to an end, many seniors have decided to attend a college, and some plan on rooming there. This means that there will be many adjustments that need to be made, especially if one has not been away from their family for extended periods of time.   College is a place where people truly begin to take full responsibility for themselves and become independent.  Acclimation will be needed, and the following are hints on how to acclimate to your new ‘home.’

1. Roommates

If one decides to room in college, they should make an effort to meet or at least communicate with their roommate over summer.  Most colleges send a roommate quiz to students that have sent in their deposit.  These quizzes ask basic questions about studying habits, personality traits, and how neat one likes to keep their room.  Roommates may not always become the best of friends, but communication can help the roommates build friendly relationships, according to The University of Illinois.

2. Friends

Even if one does not know anyone that is going to the school one decided on, there are many ways to meet new friends at school.  Most schools have an activities fair at the beginning of the year to try to get the incoming freshmen to join clubs and sports.  This gives students a chance to interact with one another and maybe make a new friend.  Furthermore, there is an orientation day (or days) that freshmen are welcomed into the school, giving them a chance to meet other attendees.

3. Laundry

It’s inevitable; everyone will need to use a washing machine some time to clean their dirty laundry.  It’s better to learn now, if one does not already know how to do the laundry.  Ask to see if one has to pay to use a washing machine or if it’s free.  It’s a good idea to get a hamper  to use to store dirty and clean clothes.  Going to college means greater personal freedom and greater personal responsibility, according to The University of Illinois.  Do not wait until Sunday night to do laundry, and always watch out for the classic red sock in the white laundry.

4. Family

If one gets homesick easily, it may be harder to leave home to go to college.  Skype, Facebook, email, text messaging, and phone calls are great ways to keep in touch with family.  Also, families can visit any day, but make sure it’s okay with one’s roommate if one’s family plans on seeing the dorm.

5. Pets

Fish are allowed at many colleges, and sometimes, hermit crabs and other small critters are even allowed. Just make sure to check the regulations on the kind of tanks and cages that should be used.

College is a considerable change in one’s life and will take a lot of adjustments, but it can be a great experience as one grows up and meets new people.

Sources:

-http://www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu/?page_id=139