Home field advantage

Smile: Varsity field hockey grouped together for their team photo.
Photo by: Robert Pugaczewski

All athletes would agree that there is a significant difference between playing on grass as apposed to playing on turf. One of the teams that suffers the most from the difference of fields is ironically field hockey. Senior Taylor Cubbler has her opinions on the turf versus grass struggle. “Playing on grass, is a completely different game than on turf,” said Cubbler. “When you play on turf, the ball easily slides across the ground. But when it’s on grass, it is so much slower. The ball can get stuck, bounce, and completely misdirect itself.”

The difference truly shows on the score board. The Warriors have lost the past 3 games in a row, and all of those games have been on grass. Thankfully, only about one third of all the field hockey teams have grass fields in the district, so the Warriors don’t have to train in different settings too much. This really does give the term “home field advantage” meaning because if the opposing team has a grass field, they know the layout better than anyone else and how to use it in their favor. Another challenge that exists among the team is players who play Varsity and JV. One of those players is Junior goalie Ashton Alban. “It’s very demanding to play both teams. You have to give 100 percent for one team, and right afterwards, you have to give even more for another. It drains you,” said Alban. With a young team this year with only 4 seniors,  they are having trouble combating experienced teams. This doesn’t stop the team though. They are currently 3-5, and only 2 wins away from tying for first. With plenty of play time left in the season, the warriors have time to take first in their division.