G-Eazy vs. Lil Wayne

Everybody, at some point in time, has heard of Lil Wayne, but not so many have heard of up and coming  G-Eazy.

Comparing the two may be difficult, seeing as they use two completely different styles and are two completely different people. It’s all about style, and these two are completely different when it comes to how they rap.

Most are familiar with Lil Wayne’s style, using the “I’m amazing” attitude he projects in his lyrics, his vicious words to assert his opinions throughout the song, and obviously his gangster-esque

Swagged out- G-Eazy posing in New York City in his notorious 1950s style. Photo by Jake Pett via Wikimedia Commons

personality. So what about G-Eazy? He is almost the exact opposite. Incorporating popular music from the earlier years, such as the 1950’s, he makes his tunes way different in not just a good, but in a great way.

His songs are more upbeat, whereas Lil Wayne’s are somewhat all the same, focusing on coming up rough in life and coming out on top through all his struggles. These kind of songs often include a

darker style of beats with the deep bass and classic rap style. G-Eazy makes all of his own beats, which gives every song he puts out its own one of a kind sound and style. This difference in style leads to another difference between the two, popularity.

Lil Wayne has been around for quite some time now, whereas Eazy is relatively new to the rap scene. On top of that, Wayne is big enough that he now has his own record label, Young Money Cash Money Billionaires (YMCMB), including numerous other popular rap and pop artists, such as Drake, Nicki Minaj, and Tyga. G-Eazy is an independent artist, meaning he has no record label. He does everything on his own, which he believes is better, stating in one of his songs, “Crops are always better when you harvest ‘em yourself”.

Could he be talking about a different kind of crop than the money tree? We’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reppin’- Lil Wayne (right) rapping for a crowd in Vancouver. Photo By Alice Lin via Wikimedia Commons

Overall, coming from two different lifestyles and backgrounds, these two very popular artists are difficult to compare without going in depth about specific techniques, fan bases, and life influences. Regardless of this, both artists have the ‘get at ‘em’ style that will always keep them among the elite in the rap game.