‘Adventure Time’ more than nonsense

Everybody has heard the saying “TV rots your brain.” However, it is not entirely true. It really depends on what exactly a viewer watches and how they interpret it.

An eight-year-old watching something that possibly promotes illegal acts may interpret it as, “if it’s on tv, and they’re getting away with this, why can’t I do the same?” Luckily, there is hope for television that viewers of all ages can watch as well as enjoy.

Image by: Emily Faber
Finn the human is the main character and practically the face of “Adventure Time.”

Airing on Cartoon Network since 2009, Adventure Time with Finn and Jake have impressed many widespread viewers all over the country and even outside of the States. Finn is the last human in the Land of Ooo, and, with his best friend, Jake the Dog, they go exploring to protect the land they were born in.

Many misinterpret the show and say it’s all random nonsense. Even though some of it is, the show’s creator, Pendleton Ward, had more clever ideas than just the humorous nonsense. The show is set in, as mentioned before, The Land of Ooo but in a post-apocalyptic future a thousand years after “The Great Mushroom War.”

Ward was clever enough to not bluntly state the war and the premise of the show, but left many subtle clues for viewers to pull together, such as half buried cars and missiles in the background as well as elder characters who lightly mention what they remember about the war. However, a lot of these small hints can go over viewers’ heads if they do not pay close attention.

The newer seasons included two episodes that Pendleton wrote and animated which brought viewers back in time only months after the war. The Ice King, an old, desperate man stealing princesses for more company than just penguins, has an entire history with Marceline the Vampire Queen. The Ice King’s real name is Simon, and he met Marceline when she was just a little girl once the war settled. He saw she was abandoned and ended up taking care of her, basically raising her and protecting her from the resulted monster of the war.

Simon carried a crown hooked to his trousers at all times, only placing it on his head in times of serious danger. The crown controlled his mind,and he became the cruel, oblivious Ice King we all know presently. Soon, it became harder for him to remove the crown as he became obsessed with power and eventually his memory was shot of everything between he and Marceline.

Those episodes, especially, proved to viewers that the show was more than just the nonsense shown in previews and commercials because it showed neither much randomness nor bad influences.