A ‘Once and Future’ Classic

Image By: Matthew Paris [Public domain or Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons.
King Arthur is crowned by his subjects.

“The Once and Future King” is a book written by T.H. White in 1939 revolving around the reign of Arthur, and the time he spends with his magical tutor, Merlyn.

The book is a retelling of the classic story of King Arthur, beginning at his childhood where he meets the great and fantastic magician, Merlyn. Then Arthur pulls the sword out from the lump of stone and is accepted as the King of Britain. He embarks on quests, as does his knights of the round table, to unite Britain, while his half-sister and nephew plot against him.

It faithfully follows the original saga, with its imagination and tragedies, adding in laughs and dialogue that lets one see the characters as something more than just people from a tale, allowing allows one to truly bond with them.

The book itself is actually a collection of four shorter books, all by the same author. The first book revolves entirely around young Arthur, nicknamed ‘the Wart’ by his step-brother, and Merlyn. The second takes place after Arthur removes the sword from the stone, showing that he is the son of Uther Pendragon and the new king of Britain. The third book takes place later on, following Lancelot as he embarks on quests and faithfully follows his king, despite the events that later unfold. The fourth book ends The Once and Future King.

The writing style can be tiresome on the eyes after a few pages. While a great book, it unfolds slowly, lacking no dull moments. However, there are also fantastic moments, filled with suspense, comedy, action, and magic.

The content evens out if one so chooses to stick with the book through the slow moments. It also incorporates something different from the usual fiction; it makes references to reality, often mentioning Communism and modern areas. This is possible due to Merlyn’s foresight and past-sight. He can see the future and the past, which sometimes leads to him wondering if he had already done something, if he’s doing something, or if he was planning to do something.

The Once and Future King is an amazing book with a classic, ageless plot, filled with laughs, tears, and action. The retelling is done creatively and will be a good read for readers of all ages.