Expectations for Gatsby film are set high

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, a critically acclaimed novel, will have a movie adaptation coming out later this year with big name stars that is sure to please fans.  The movie is set to be released May 10, 2013 and is the third cinematic adaptation of the book.  In 1974, a version of the story was released starring Robert Redford as Jay Gatsby, Mia Farrow as Daisy Buchanan, and Sam Waterston as Nick Carraway, according to IMDb.com.  An A&E production of the movie came out in 2000 and starred Toby Stephens as Jay Gatsby, Mira Sorvino as Daisy Buchanan, and Paul Rudd as Nick Carraway, according to IMDb.com.  Junior Megan Burns enjoyed the book immensely and looks forward to the movie version.  “[I am] definitely [excited for the movie because] I saw previews, and it was really intense,” said Burns.  “I like the book in the first place…  Also, I think Leonardo is going to be a really good Gatsby.”

This work of modern classical literature was originally published in 1925 and gives readers a view of wealthy living during the 1920’s.  The story is set in New York City during 1922 when Nick Buchanan, the narrator, moves into the West Egg, a fictional neighborhood in New York.  His next door neighbor is Jay Gatsby, a man who throws many lavish parties and is someone who everyone in the area has heard of.  Nick’s cousin, Daisy Buchanan lives in the East Egg with her mean-spirited husband Tom Buchanan and her daughter.  Nick soon becomes friends with Gatsby and learns that Jay and Daisy had a relationship before he went off to war.  Gatsby still loves Daisy and threw all the extravagant parties to see if Daisy would ever show up.  With Nick being the cousin of Daisy and a friend of Gatsby, he is the mutual friend between the two, helping to reconnect Daisy and Gatsby and driving the story forward in unexpected and well-crafted plot twists.

Teacher Erica Littleton is looking forward to seeing what the set looks like for the movie.  “[I’m excited to see] the portrayal of Gatsby’s great wealth, [and] how [the people working on the movie] are going to work on that image…” said Littleton.  This version stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Gatsby, Carey Mulligan as Daisy, and Tobey Maguire as Nick, according to the movie’s Warner Brother’s website.  Baz Luhrmann is the director of this film who previously worked with DiCaprio in Romeo+Juliet.  The movie will be is in 3D, but a 2D version will be available in theaters.

The Great Gatsby has enticed readers  for decades with the fictional yet epic story of great man whose life affected many people whether it was for good or bad, and the movie will hopefully bring this story to life in a new way.

Sources:

-http://thegreatgatsby.warnerbros.com/#

-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071577/?ref_=sr_4

-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210719/?ref_=sr_3