Robot combat league fights its way to the top

Most people see robots as machines built to work and replace human laborers, but Mark Setrakian had a different idea. He built 12 different robots to fight in the Robot Combat League.

This show airs on Syfy every Tuesday at 10:00 p.m. and is hosted by WWE Superstar Chris Jericho.

Each robot is paired with a team of two people, the “robo-tech,” who controls the robot’s legs, and the “Robo-jockey,” who gets into the “exo-suit” to control the robots punching and torso movements. This exo-suit is a harness that hooks onto the torso of the jockey and has two “arms” that come down along the jockey’s arms so they can control the robot’s arms.

The rules are simple: the fight is organized into three, two-minute rounds while three ringside judges score each robot’s performance. Points are awarded to strong hits to vital parts, and teams have pit crews to fix the robot during the 20 minute repair period after each round. Judges can stop a round early due to excessive damage to the robot, and robots can be knocked out if they are unable to make the bell that signifying the round’s end.

Overall,  this show is awesome. Putting a bunch of robots together to fight is a spectacular idea. It gives the entertainment of boxing, but also brings in modern technology marvels. So no one gets hurt, but it gives the American people the violence they crave.  The precursor to this show was “Battlebots,” a show about people who built smaller robots and made them battle it out in an arena, using weapons and environmental hazards.

Also, there’s no drama like most other reality shows. There is some trash talking, but that’s the extent of the “drama,” if one can call it that.

This show is the first of its kind and breaks the usual show format. This show will appeal to many types of people regardless of their interests. On a scale from one to five, it is at least a 4. Anything that involves a good fight and giant robots is always something awesome.