New teachers welcomed at Susky

New Social Studies teacher Kocher helps junior Kasey Kennedy.

Walking through the halls of Susquehannock, one can hardly overlook all of the new staff members. Some find it difficult, or even daunting, to get to know all of the new teachers here. However, with some background information and a pleasant attitude, it is easy to make them feel welcome.

Some of the new teachers were once Susquehannock students themselves.This includes new English teacher Jessica Beste. Before obtaining a Bachelor’s degree from York College and a Master’s degree from Towson University, she was a student and cheerleader at Susquehannock. She has been coaching varsity cheer-leading here since 2004. In fact, it was English teacher Erica Littleton who inspired Beste to consider a career in education and kept in touch with Beste throughout college.

There seems to be no regret in this career choice as Beste is invigorated while teaching. “I have a lot of energy all throughout the day…so I try to keep it as fun, yet structured, as possible,” said Beste. Another alumni, Brett Maxwell, is now a physical education teacher and girls soccer coach. Maxwell taught at Susquehannock in the past before transferring to West York for eight years. Outside of work, Maxwell enjoys playing in adult soccer leagues and rock-climbing.He may have to choose safer hobbies by January, as this is when his baby is due. Although not a coach like Beste and Maxwell, math teacher James Sterner enjoys cheering on Susquehannock at football games. Sterner might not be attending the school’s games if he had continued with his original career choice of an architect, which he turned away from after two days of classes. Sterner said, “There wasn’t enough math in architecture…I really enjoy math.” In a twist unrelated to math, Sterner also enjoys spending time with his two dogs and getting to know the people of Southern York County. The area’s friendly residents are partially why Sterner decided to teach here and why he tries to keep his classroom casual. New social studies teacher  Abby Kocher also tries to keep her classroom interactive and welcoming, helping students to stay determined. Senior Nathan Coulter  helped interview Kocher for employment. “She has good leadership skills…she knows how to relate to kids,” said Coulter. Lauren Jernstrom, better known as Ms. J., who now teaches biology, was a long time substitute here last year before becoming an official employee. Like others, she had other career plans. “I honestly thought I would never be a teacher,” Jernstrom admitted. Thanks to a fantastic high school experience, she discovered a wish to help others enjoy their education as well. In the special education department, Nancy Foster and Jill Fitzsimmons have also joined the staff. It is also important to remember the office staff, who added Natalie Hynoski to their team.