Girls soccer kick-starts

Warm-up: Senior Alyssa Denis does a pre-game stretch.
Photo By: Konnie Brown

There is an air of confidence amongst the girls soccer players. Senior co-captain Jeanette Wilson, a center midfield player, points out a positive. “Most of our starters are upperclassmen now,” Wilson explained of losing only three seniors last season. The team is also very grateful for the change of playing season, from spring to fall. Fortunately, this means the team has been preparing all summer, not indoors during the winter. New coach Brett Maxwell places his confidence in the soccer players themselves.

Maxwell noted that, “Everyone seems to have a really positive attitude and a real commitment to the team.” He also referred to how well the team played last year, making it all the way to the County Championship. This confidence seems to come from both sides, according to senior center midfielder and co-captain Mackenzie Bates. “[Maxwell] knows how to talk to us and pinpoint what needs to be changed,” explained Bates. Junior Olivia Royer, who plays defense, agreed. “He knows what he’s talking about and that keeps us motivated,” said Royer. Motivation will be helpful since many team members named West York, where Maxwell coached for eight years before coming here, as very talented Division Champions, perhaps only fueling the rivalry. There is also a strong rivalry between Susquehannock and Dallastown. Losing 4-3 at last year’s County Finals left a sting that the Susquehannock girls were eager to repay at their game versus Dallastown on September 20, winning 1-0. As of October 4, the girls are standing at 12-2, having won all but two games. With some hard work and their school’s support, maybe the girls soccer team can, as Bates said, “make this season the best it can be.”