Meet the ‘Vikings’

One of the most highly anticipated shows, “Vikings,” aired on the History Channel to an excited audience on Sunday, March 3. It more than met the expectations.
The show, which will be a ten hour feature, was written by Michael Hirst, who is well known for his other series “The Tudors” and “Elizabeth.”
Ragnar Lothbrok, played by Travis Fimmel, is a viking (who is an actual historical character) that seeks to break away from the authority of Earl Haraldson and to travel west to find riches and glory.
As expected, this causes dangerous tension between the two men.
The first episode begins with the thrilling clanging sound of battle associated with vikings. Ragnar is introduced as a fierce, vicious warrior with a thirst for blood and battle.
Later on, Ragnar is shown to be a caring father that teaches his son, Bjorn, to fight.
His wife, Lagertha, is a caring mother with inner strength. She teaches her daughter Gyda domestic duties. Unexpectedly, she also defends herself with ease. She is a huntress and a fighter just as much as her husband is.
Ragnar gathered a crew willing to risk their lives voyaging to the strange west. He has a secret mission, but he must try to convince traditional, paranoid Earl Haraldson that the journey is worth it.
Earl Haraldson, a traditional viking ruler, only desires to plunder the east, while Ragnar seeks to break tradition and see the lands in the west.
Moreover, Earl Haraldson is a powerful ruler that is not ready to share his leadership role with a mere foot soldier. If Ragnar succeeds in his mission, he will gain fame and wealth, along with power.
For every history buff and drama lover, Vikings is the ideal show to watch.
“Vikings” airs every Sunday at 10:00 P.M., but it can also be accessed at http://www.history.com/shows/vikings.

File:History Logo.svg

File by Matthias_M.