Modern twist to old literature

English classes are well-known for the older literature that most teens have difficulty reading due to the time period in which it was written, but what would happen if a teacher were to take these pieces and throw in a modern twist?

Well, English teacher Jen Mackensen has allowed students to find out.  Before Mackensen went home on maternity leave, she left her students with a project to complete on the Shakespearean tragedy “Macbeth.”  The students were to get into groups of five or six and create a short film on iMovie depicting a modern version of this play.
The groups spread out throughout the school during their class period and filmed in their own respective areas.  One group filmed in the auditorium; two went to the main and auditorium lobbies.
Long-term substitute Sheralyn Potter oversaw the projects.
“The projects helped students understand the play better,” explained Potter.  “Since we’re studying women in literature, the projects helped students understand Lady Macbeth’s point of view and interpret it for themselves.”
These movies were shot in the school last week, and they were presented on Tuesday, March 5 with popcorn supplied by Potter.  The class seemed to enjoy watching the videos, and Potter had very positive opinions on the projects.
“I loved it because the students really enjoyed working and had fun,” said Potter.  “The projects also allowed them to learn more about the plot of Macbeth.”
Potter is not the only person impressed with the projects.  Some students were also happy with the different approach to teaching a centuries-old Shakespearean play, such as senior Jasmine Ortiz.
“I think [the projects] helped us because they put a modern twist on the play,” said Ortiz.  “It was also extremely fun.”
This modern approach to an older literary piece had very positive effects on the students, and it made English class a little more fun to boot.  Perhaps the English department could look at Mackensen and Potter’s approach and apply it to other classrooms and literary pieces in the future.