Treading water at districts

The 2012-2013 swim season came to an end at the PIAA District III Swimming Championship at Cumberland Valley on Friday, March 1 and Saturday, March 2.
The official season record was 3-5 for the boys and 2-6 for the girls.

There were eight attendees on the boys team: seniors Kyle Shaffer, Sean Kaliszak, D.J. Mentlik, and Chandler Larkin,  juniors Zach Gloeckner and Brandon Loehmer, sophomore Mark Freidhoff, and freshman Robert Jackson.

Of the eight swimmers on the girls team,  seniors were Jess Amberman, Sam Leslie, Jordan McGee, and Mikayla Mayoryk, and  juniors Katie Steines, Alesha Herman, Kathryn Jackson, and Whitnee McGowan.

The districts meet wasn’t as successful as the YAIAA County Championship meet was, but it was still just as rewarding. Many of the swimmers had big drops in time and personal records to end the season.

Kaliszak set a personal record in the 200 freestyle event by swimming a 1:57.  Mentlik also set a new personal record of 5:39 in the 500 freestyle event, a 5 second PR from his previous best time.

Leslie had a bittersweet goodbye to her last season, but hopes for the best next year. She has strong faith in the future boys team.

“The boys team will be good next year if people are willing to step up and work hard to drop time!,” said Leslie.

9th place in the 200 freestyle relay went to the boys relay team of Kaliszak, Shaffer, Mentlik, and Jackson.

Head coach Brian Wingert is very proud of his team this year and expects more success next season.

“Everyone looks great for next season,” said Wingert. “The first day of districts was a little rough, but all of our juniors that swam in districts will be great next year.”

The girls 400 freestyle relay team, made up of McGee, Steines, Herman, and Mayoryk, dropped 14 seconds off of their best time, and all of the ladies on the relay swam a time of 1:02 individually.

Junior Alesha Herman was the only girl to swim in an individual event, along with all three relays, and freshman Robert Jackson was the only freshman on the swim team to swim in districts this year. Three of the swimmers on the team have been selected to the YAIAA All Star Team: Herman, Shaffer, and  Kaliszak.

Junior Kathryn Jackson will miss all of the senior swimmers that graduate this year, but she is hopeful for next season.

“I’m excited for next year!” said Jackson. “I think we will do well, even though we are losing a lot of talented swimmers.”

Although nearly 20 seniors are leaving the team, Wingert will host a summer program at the YMCA to prepare with next year’s swim team.