Taylor Swift: Country or pop?

A friend and I were talking about the new Taylor Swift album, “Red,”  and we disagreed on whether Taylor Swift remains as a country singer or has become a pop artist. Swift isn’t just a country singer or just a pop singer; she is both.

When Swift first started out in 2006, her first single “Tim McGraw” hit #6 on the Country Top 40 and made it to the bottom of the Pop Top 40. When her debut, self-titled album came out in 2006, it rose to #1 on the country album chart and made it to #5 on the pop album chart; her second album, “Fearless,” went straight to #1 on both the country and pop album charts. This proves that Swift had originally established herself as a country artist, but also appealed to the pop genre; Swift then incorporated a mixture of country songs and songs with a pop-country twist into her third album, “Speak Now.” 

Because of this country-pop mixture, “Speak Now” was my favorite album that Taylor Swift has released. Not only does her top of the chart status prove that she is a versatile artist, she has won many awards in both the pop and country genres, such as the Country Music Association award for Album of the Year with her “Fearless” album, the Billboard Music Award for Top Billboard 200 Artist, the MTV Music Award for Best Female Video with her song “You Belong With Me,” and the Teen Choice Awards for Choice Love Song with her song “Back to December.” Whether one thinks Swift is a country or pop artist, one cannot deny that she is an amazing and accomplished artist in both genres. As a fan, I cannot wait to hear her new album, “Red,” coming out  in October.

Sources:

-http://top40.about.com/od/s/p/Taylor-Swift.htm