Choir Concert ‘stuck’ in ’70s and ’80s

The high school and middle school held a “Music of the ‘70s & ‘80s” themed choral concert  on Thursday, March 7 in the High School Auditorium.  

The high school chorus sang “Bohemian Rhapsody”  by Queen and “We are the World,” by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, while the middle school sang “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins and “Thriller” by Michael Jackson.   At the end of the concert, the two choirs joined together and sang “Don’t Stop Believing”  and “Thank You for the Music” as a grand finale.

Junior Brenna McKinney commented on the successful song selection.

“… I think that the audience really liked the theme,” said McKinney. “We sang songs that most people know so the audience could sing along, and I think it helped them to have more fun with it.”

Overall the turn out for the concert was huge and the auditorium was packed; junior Brenna Mullins also feels that it couldn’t have been any better.

“I think that the turnout was great especially compared to last year’s,” said Mullins. “This year’s theme was my favorite because we sang songs that I liked and that everyone knew, so they could sing along in the audience. ”

Throughout the concert,  there were several soloist that performed. Those soloists were seniors Brian Bailone and Nathan Coulter, juniors Mullins and James Sergent, sophomores Allison Moltz, Alexis Anelli, Ethan Paules, Juanita Childs, and Jermain Bandoo, and freshmen Ashley Breyers and  Natalie Sawada.

During the concert, chorus director Jay Althouse made a speech about keeping music in our schools, appropriate as March is  “Music in our Schools month.”

“Music gives students an emotional outlet,” said Mr. Althouse. “It gives them something to put their passion and energy into. It gives the students discipline and teaches them how to set goals for themselves.”

As the concert came to a close and both the middle school and high school choir sang as one, there was a standing ovation to acknowledge the students’ hard work and dedication.

“This year the middle school choir is huge, and it was great to see the people who will be moving up to the high school next year,” said Mullins. “I think that it is good for them to have their concert with us so that they can get to know some of us before they come up next year and will feel more comfortable.”

Also featured in the concert were an electric guitar played by sophomore Ethan Paules, an electric bass played by sophomore Noah Day,  and a piano played by sophomore Greg Stewart.

As for the next concert, Althouse plans to have a civil war theme with songs that relate back to that time period. He feels it will be a great chance for people to see that music can be related to all subjects, including social studies, and can help a student to become more well rounded.