Warriors able to swim upstream to districts

The members of the swim team have swum all season to try their luck in the much-anticipated postseason, both Friday, March 1 and Saturday, March 2, the boys and girls team swam, possibly for the last time in Districts.
The boys team, coming off of a season only filled with 3 wins, and the girls team, coming off of a season with only 2 wins, have many people swimming in the postseason.
Senior Kyle Shaffer, the team’s main threat was ranked 6th in two individual races. Also swimming for the boys team were senior Sean Kaliszak, senior DJ Mentlik, junior Zack Gloeckner, sophomore Mark Freidhoff, and freshman Robert Jackson.
Swimming for the girls team were senior Jordan McGee, senior Jessica Amberman, senior Samantha Leslie, senior Mikayla Mayoryk, junior Katie Steines, junior Alesha Herman, and junior Whitnee McGowan.
Kaliszak has been preparing for districts since the season has started.
“I’ve done a lot of longer distance sets for the 200 free,” said Kaliszak. “Also a lot of backstroke and 50 flys. I’ve been eating right, sleeping well, [and] stretching. I also wear a board suit during practice that causes drag, so it helps me to swim stronger.”
The athletes preparing for districts have been tapering. Tapering is a term that is used to describe a certain type of preparation for swimming. After swimming hard for a long distance of yards, the swimmers cut down on the amount of yards they swim, and they take a longer rest period.
Amberman has loved the preparation that they have done for districts.
“I love tapering,” said Amberman. “We swim all sprints and then get minutes of rest. It’s so much better than just swimming so many yards in regular season practice.”
The swimmers with the top 4 finishing times  will go on to compete in states, and any other swimmer whose time competes with the others will get a chance for states.