Martin: The man behind the book, behind the television show

Photo by: By Yerpo (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons. Gerorge R.R. Martin is a well known novelist.
Dubbed the ‘American Tolkien’ by Timemagazine, author George R.R. Martin has  filled the pages of countless books ever since his fingers could first grasp a pen, inspiring games, television shows, and movies.

His first work was a collection of short stories published back in 1976, titled A Song for Lya and Other Stories. It won in the 1977 Locus Poll as the year’s best short story collection. Other short stories that have spawned forth from his pen’s tip are Songs of Stars and Shadows, Sandkings, Songs the Dead Men Sing, Nightflyers, and so on. His best short stories were republished in two books, Dreamsong Volume One and Two.

Along with his short stories, Martin has also written numerous novels, some standing alone and others part of a large and fascinating series. His first published novel was Dying of the Light, which was written in 1977.

It takes place in the far future, following Dirk, the main character of the story, and his attempt to win back his old lover from the savage man who has taken her. Then he wrote soon after Windhaven, Fevre Dream, Armageddon Rag, Dead Man’s Hand, Shadow Twin, and Hunter’s Run.

What he’s most well-known for is his long running book series which began back in 1996 and has been made into a television series and a game, A Song of Ice and Fire; its show on HBO is named “Game of Thrones,” named after the first installation in the series.

The first book was published in 1996 and has been followed by four other books with two more to come. It takes place in a medieval world with a sprinkle of fantasy. It follows the lives of numerous characters, all of which play an important part in the story. It has action, adventure, mystery, and tragedy. It combines all types of genres into a cauldron that creates a concoction like no other, something so fascinating and interesting that the reader will feel as if the book is glued to their hand. (Although, I assume that would make it harder to turn the pages.)

Martin has created many literary masterpieces that will shape the next generation of fantasy and science fiction. His work has filled the pages of novels, the minds of all his readers, and the television screen.

His writing and storytelling will forever earn him a spot upon the shelf of literary genius. If one has not read one of his books, then they are missing out on some of the most fantastic adventures ever created.