Burger King’s Twitter gets hacked

An unknown person hacked Burger King’s Twitter account on Monday February 18th, claiming that McDonalds bought out Burger King.

The tweets stopped a little after an hour as Burger King was forced to reach out to Twitter to get their account temporarily suspended. Over this hour, 55 tweets and retweets took place, many containing racial suggestions and references to drug use.

Junior Phoenix McDonnell saw what took place on Monday and thinks it is was funny but unnecessary.

“I think most people thought that the tweets that were made while Burger King was hacked were hilarious,” said McDonnell. “They didn’t offend me, but I can see how they could be offensive to some people.”

Twitter has made claims that the hacking was partially Burger King’s fault due to the lack of originality when coming up with a password. It is believed that the hacker is connected to the hacktivist group Anonymous, after tweets were made supporting the group from the hacked Burger King account asking for new followers.

A follower of Burger King,  sophomore Amber Orner thinks that Burger King should have taken more precautions when it came to their password.

“I think that if the password was as easy as they say it was than Burger King deserved to be hacked,” said Orner. “Maybe now they will make their password more difficult and keep the number of people who know it smaller than last time.”

Over the course of an hour, Burger King gained over 30,000 followers. Junior Chavon Miller feels that the hacker both helped and hurt Burger King.

“The hacker helped to promote them and get more customers for Burger King,” said Miller.

Junior Megan Harman agrees with Miller and thinks that Burger King should be thankful for the hacking since it gave them more customers.

“Everyone thought that the hacking was funny, so they went and followed Burger King which gave them more followers and more business,” said Harman.

McDonalds has claimed to have nothing to do with the hacking that took place. In fact, they made this tweet shortly after, “We empathize with our @BurgerKing counterparts. Rest assured, we had nothing to do with the hacking.”  Burger King is now taking extra precautions to prevent a similar incident from occurring in the future.

Burger King is not the only big corporation that has been hacked on Twitter lately; the Westboro Baptist Church and even NBC News have also fallen victim to these hacktivist groups. Corporations on Twitter are given no more security than the average user and some believe this may be their downfall.

Orner thinks that the twitter hacking can be solved with more security for the bigger business accounts that are being hacked.

“Even though it was stupid of Burger King to have such an easy password, they aren’t the only ones being hacked,” said Orner. “I think that if Twitter protected these accounts better than it could prevent a lot of the hackings that have been going on.”