Orioles’ Spring training report

Coming off their best season in 15 years, the Baltimore Orioles are already in full swing in Sarasota, Florida at their spring training facility.
History teacher Deborah Dominick was really pleased with how last season went.
“Last season was fantastic!” Dominick stated. “I’m old enough to remember when the Orioles were a good team in the past, and now we have something to be excited about.”
On Saturday, the Orioles will host the Minnesota Twins at Ed Smith Stadium in the Grapefruit League opener. With the momentum still reeling off of their 2012 season, Baltimore fans are highly anticipating the Orioles’ return to the field.
The Orioles’ starting-rotation pitching competition is one of the camp’s most talked about stories. There is high competition for the fifth and final spot in the rotation, with Jason Hammel, Wei-Yin Chen, Chris Tillman, and Miguel Gonzalez all having more practice in then the other starters.
Other options heading into spring are Steve Johnson, Jake Arrieta, Brian Matusz, Zach Britton, Tommy Hunter and T.J. McFarland. Top pitching prospects, Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman, are also getting looks.
Bundy and Gausman’s innings will be monitored all season and will be available to the organization in September and October.
On acquiring Bundy and Gausman before the regular season, manager Buck Showalter shares some thoughts.
According to MLB.com, Showalter stated, “I’m not saying it’s a long shot. We’ve got a lot of innings here for pitchers, so everybody is going to get a long look, including Bundy.”
Bullpen options could possibly be two starting candidates, Matusz and Hunter, who are led by closer Jim Johnson.
Outfielder, Nolan Reimold got in some early work hitting off live pitching for the first time since undergoing season-ending neck surgery. Along with Reimold, outfielder Nick Markakis and infielder Brian Roberts are both expected to be fully recovered and ready to play by the start of camp.
The Orioles hope to keep their momentum running into their 2013 season, aiming to hopefully make another postseason run.
Junior Jake McDonnell hopes that the season will be similar to last season.
“The pitching line-up is short, but I think the guys will step up and deliver,” said McDonnell. “Hitting is also short, but I think players will be called up….I think bats will produce.”
The Orioles have some high expectations to meet coming into this season.
“We want these to be the good old days,” said Showalter on MLB.com. “One of the biggest challenges we’ve got is keeping the clocks right where we know where the finish line is, because we’re going to be down here for a long, long time.”