How to snag a job this summer

Summer jobs and internships are great ways to gain work experience, earn some money, and pass the time during the three-month school break.

Teens can apply in person or online to local businesses, look for job openings in the classifieds section of the local newspaper or online, or offer their own services, such as mowing lawns, to find employment this summer.
Guidance counselor Ruth Lawrence has some advice on finding a summer job.
“Keep your eyes open, look for advertisements, and ask around for applications,” recommended Lawrence.  “College students tend to apply for summer jobs during their spring break, so it is a good idea to start now,” said Lawrence.
Internships are a different matter entirely.  While working at a summer job can earn you money, the same is not true of most internships.
“Internships are generally unpaid at the high school level,” said Lawrence.  “Most college students need an internship for their major, but internships are rare for high schoolers and are mostly obtained through family members.”
Whenever summer job and internship opportunities arise, flyers and notifications are usually found in the hallway outside the guidance office for students to look at during the school day.
Of course, in order to get hired for a summer job in the first place, most students need to obtain a work permit.  Any student under the age of 18 needs a work permit, and they need to have it before they can actually start working.
Grace Myers is another staff member in the guidance office, and she is the person to go to to obtain a work permit.
“To get a work permit, just come see me, and I will fill out an application for you,” said Myers.  “Then I will give the application to you for a parent to sign, and when you bring in the signed application and proof of age, I can issue a work permit to you.”
Work permits also do not expire, so it would be a good idea to get a head start on the process.
Working over the summer is easy to do, and there are a lot of resources that students can use to achieve this.  It will be useful for college and job applications, and it is a beneficial experience for the future.