Safe Haven frustrates readers and awes watchers

This Valentine’s Day, Nicholas Sparks will be able to say he has eight box office hit movies, with the newest addition being Safe Haven.
The world renowned and critically-acclaimed author, Sparks, has written 17 bestselling novels including fan favorites such as The Lucky One, The Notebook, and Dear John.The upcoming movie of his novel Safe Haven is sure to please many.

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons. Nationally recognized author Nicholas Sparks has written books such as “The Notebook,” “Dear John,” and “Safe Haven.”

A- List celebrities Josh Duhamel, who also played in Life As We Know It alongside Grey’s Anatomy star Katherine Heigl, and Julianne Hough, star of last years hit remake of Footloose, play Alex and Katie.
The two live in the small town of Southport, North Carolina and live seemingly opposite lives. Alex is a widower with two kids who owns a small store given to him by the father of his late wife and love of his life, Carly. Meanwhile, Katie is a runaway turned small town diner waitress and abused wife of a Boston homicide detective.
Due to fleeing from her husband, Katie assumed a new name with a new hairstyle and new home in the small town. Despite her best efforts to stay invisible, Alex notices her and begins to discover her past through small actions he has seen before while an investigator in the Army.

Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland. The school library contains many other books by Nicholas Sparks; some of which have been turned into movies.

Even though Katie is trying to keep up walls between herself and others in the event that she has to leave, Alex and his two young children, Kristen and Josh, played by Mimi Kirkland and Noah Lomax, find their way into her life. Just as things seem to be going well for Katie and her new found family, her husband, Kevin, played by David Lyons, finds her and begins to terrorize them all.
Despite the hype of the movie, book lovers may be left wondering ‘What did I just see?’ The movie is vastly different from the book, even though it is claimed to be based off of the similarly named book by Nicholas Sparks.
The basic plot line is the same; however, the events in which the couple are brought together are different. Although, those who read the book may be disappointed, the movie is well done and captures the audience’s attention.
The story of Katie and Alex shows the power of love through inopportune circumstances. Safe Haven the movie opened February 14 in theaters and is sure to please, just as Sparks’ past book/movie crossovers have.

Sources:
– http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_Haven_(film)