Senior night at Susky

At the end of the winter sports season, senior night brings all the players together to celebrate their hard work and commitment to the team.

Photo by: Wade Bowers. The seniors of girls basketball, along with their parents, smile for their picture before starting for their last home game.

The winter sport season consists of boys basketball, girls basketball, wrestling, cheerleading, and swimming. Each sport sets aside a date, usually the night of their game/match/meet, to recognize the efforts of the team members in their senior year.
Senior Jeanette Wilson was recognized at the girls Basketball team senior night on February 5th, 2013.
   “It’s a one time experience…athletes only get to have two or three in the duration of high school,” said Wilson.
Senior night begins by announcing each athlete individually, along with the other clubs and organizations that he/she has been involved in for the past four years. During the announcement, athletes are escorted by their parents, given a small bouquet and/or a small senior present, and then the opportunity of starting for the game/match/meet. Parents often give their son or daughter a gift in order to reward them for their hardwork and dedication.
Senior Wynter Graybill is the manager for the swim team and always attends the senior night.
“My favorite part is hearing the activities that each senior is in and how diverse everyone is,” said Graybill.
Senior night provides more than just an opportunity to recognize the students for their athletic accomplishments. Players, including Wilson, agree that senior night gives the students a sense of accomplishment and encouragement for the game.

Photo by: Wade Bowers. The four seniors for the girls basketball wait for tip-off to begin the game.

“Everybody really wants to win, and it’s like we’re playing for the seniors…it has a whole lot of feeling behind it,” Wilson said. After senior night for swimming, they will continue on to counties, and the night pumps them up for it.

“They are more motivated [for counties] after senior night,” said Graybill.

Athletes realise that this is their last time together, at home, for their sport, which causes the team’s bond to strengthen. The players reflect on the ups and downs of the season, and the friends that they know and respect.