Obama makes lunches healthy

Students in schools all over the country are required to have a fruit or vegetable with lunch due to the new effects of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act that passed in 2010. The government spent a total of $4.5 billion on this law in order to reestablish guidelines used in elementary, middle, and high schools regarding calories, types of vegetables and fruits, and portion sizes. Some people, such as Donna Montgomery, a cafeteria server, are optimistic toward this new law. Montgomery understands that child obesity rates are the highest they have ever been. “In the long run, it will work out, but it all starts with discipline at home,” said Montgomery.

She has noticed that kids are taking much more fruit, even though they are allowed one fruit and vegetable per day, or five of each per week, minimum. So what exactly is a “good meal”? It begins with a meat or meat alternative, followed by a grain, vegetable and/or fruit, and milk; all flavored milk needs to be fat free. There is one loophole for those who do not want a fruit or vegetable everyday: juice. Considering that juice is made from fruit, it is acceptable to substitute one’s vegetable or fruit for an apple, orange, or grape juice if that is one’s preference. Students may not be as optimistic as the lunch staff. When asked how the law affected him, senior Alex Miller does not appreciate having to pay more when he does not want to receive a fruit or vegetable. “Just because students buy the fruit or vegetable to make their lunch average price, it does not necessarily mean they are going to eat it,” Miller stated. Many feel as though they already eat nutritiously outside of school. “I’m healthy enough when I eat at home,” said Miller. “I should not be forced to eat healthy here.” Sophomore Shane Harris had similar beliefs on the topic. “I already get a fruit or vegetable with my lunch everyday, so the new law really does not affect me,” said Harris. He agrees that kids cannot be forced to eat the fruit; some students will buy the fruit or veggie, and then give it to someone else. “In the future, it is definitely going to be better than now,” Harris said, regarding the dietary choices of students. The new healthy food law will affect everyone everywhere, and it may work for some and not for others. As Montgomery said, “It all starts at home.”