Eating gluten free is easier today

Gluten free diets have been gaining popularity around the nation due to the emergence of new food options and increased awareness of gluten allergies.
The University of Chicago’s Celiac Disease Center explains that gluten is a protein commonly found in wheat, rye, and barley. Many, including students here at Susky, have intolerances, or allergies, to gluten and do their best to avoid consuming products that contain the protein. This intolerance is known as celiac disease.
The Center defines the intolerance as a genetic disorder that impacts digestion in the small intestine. When a person with the disease eats gluten, the immune system responds by attacking the small intestine and stopping the absorption of the proper nutrients.
In 2005, the Celiac Disease Center estimated that about 3 million people in the US have celiac, which is about the same as the number of people who have type 1 diabetes.  Of the 3 million, it was believed that 97% are undiagnosed.
Celiac’s is difficult to diagnose as the most reliable method is a stomach biopsy.  The less invasive procedure–a blood test–is quite unreliable and often produces false negatives.
Another reason for the lack of diagnosis  is that, like most allergies, celiac disease manifests more seriously in some people than others. Often, doctors misdiagnose the illness as crohn’s, irritable bowel syndrome, or another intestinal ailment.
The Celiac Disease Foundation lists symptoms which include: cramping, bloating, diarrhea, anemia, joint pain, fatigue, and numbness in hands and feet.
While these symptoms may seem bearable, eating gluten with celiac disease can cause gallbladder malfunctions, neurological disorders, osteoporosis, infertility, and other malnutrition issues.
When sophomore Meredith Gibson was diagnosed in 5th grade, celiac’s was a lot less common.
“In 5th grade I could barely eat anything, and I almost looked anorexic,” Gibson said. “It was really hard to find stuff I could have, and I had to check all of the ingredients. Now there is an entire section in Giant and Wegman’s organic aisle.”
Junior Whitnee McGowan knows that having a gluten free diet is more complicated than not eating bread.
“Gluten is in everything! Basically any label that says ‘natural flavoring’ has gluten in it.”
McGowan’s mother and sister have celiac’s disease, but not everyone who chooses a gluten free diet has celiac’s. Since it is a genetic illness, McGowan eats a gluten free (GF) diet and is tested about once a year for the disease.
Some people just believe it is healthier to eat gluten free, like Family and Consumer Science teacher Martha Sandusky.
“It is a healthier way to eat because there is no flour,” Sandusky said. “There are more fruits and vegetables, but they eat less [sugar] because there is less flour.”
GF products are usually organic as well and contain no additives or high fructose corn syrup, meaning the sugar content is reduced.
However, critics of GF lifestyles argue that you can find wheat products that do not have additives and that there is no reason to eat GF if you do not have celiac’s. Family and Consumer Science teacher Mary Tombesi explains this philosophy.
“I am a firm believer in not [eating entirely gluten free] if you are not allergic to gluten,” Tombesi said. “You need a bit of carbs to balance [your nutrition] out.”
There are many more options out there for those who eat GF.  Tombesi knows many alternatives to wheat like buckwheat, quinoa, and corn.
As a GF treat, Gibson enjoys Cliff bars, which come in flavors like chocolate chip, chocolate brownie, and peanut butter. Also, according to Gibson, restaurants are much more accommodating to allergies and willing to check all the ingredients at the request of patrons with allergies.
You can eat gluten free or not; with so many new options, the choice is yours!

Source:
-Uchospitals.edu
-Celiac.org