Students react to President Obama’s immigration policies

President Barack Obama’s immigration policies affect many people in America, especially those in the workforce.

According to whitehouse.gov, Obama intends to deport illegal immigrants who pose a threat to America and strengthen our borders to prevent any more illegal immigration.  As for illegal immigrants who came here as children, he wishes to integrate them into American society and take steps to make them legal citizens rather than deport them.  He also plans on making steps to make the legal immigration system more fair by making it easier for legal immigrants to get in (whitehouse.gov).
Quite a few people at Susquehannock have been following the issue and have something to say about it.  One such individual is senior Nathan Coulter who takes a more conservative standpoint on many political issues, including immigration.
“Since I was born here, I have certain rights as a citizen,” said Coulter.  “I don’t think it’s right that Obama wants to give illegal immigrants those same rights if they haven’t earned them.”
Coulter also explained the changes he would make to the current system.
“I would make it much more difficult for immigrants to get in the country, both legally and illegally,” said Coulter.
Senior Corey Boyd takes a more liberal stance.
“I think immigration is fine so long as it’s fair and regulated, and I feel that Obama’s policies are,” explained Boyd.  “I think by not deporting illegal immigrants who were born here he demonstrates his understanding that…it’s unfair to uproot them from [their] lives.”
Boyd also said he would not change much about the current immigration system.  The only aspect he would change is deportation, which he does not support.
“I’d integrate everybody to make them legal citizens,” said Boyd.
Students are not the only people at Susky who are interested in the topic.  Teachers have also formed opinions on Obama’s immigration policies.
Although these students and teachers have differing opinions about immigration and Obama’s policies, all can agree that immigration is a big issue in America.

Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/fixing-immigration-system-america-s-21st-century-economy