SMS hosts 5th anual mini-thon

Every year, Southern Middle School has their own version of the Penn State THON, called the Mini-THON, which started when this year’s seniors were in seventh grade.
Students will dance for seven hours on March 1 without sitting down and will raise money to fight cancer through pledges.
According to SMS English teacher Laura McCusker, who started the Mini-THON at the middle school, the event has brought many different people together.
“150 or more is a great number to have, but I would love to have 175 participants this year,” said McCusker regarding the number of participants last year.
With those 150 or so participants, Mini-THON raised over $18,000.
“It would be phenomenal to even get an equal amount, let alone top that,” McCusker explained.
Aside from the dance, the Mini-Thon committee hosts other events to raise money such as pajama day, collecting cans for charity, and the Min-Mini-THON where the fifth and sixth graders from the elementary schools get together for two hours.
Rebecca Woods is an eighth grader at SMS and is a member of the planning committee.
“My favorite event is pajama day, it just allows me to relax,” said Woods.
Junior Whitnee McGowan has a younger sister, Camryn McGowan, that is also participating in Mini-THON just like Whitnee did when she was in seventh grade, the first year of the Mini-THON.
“Camryn is really excited because the money goes to a good cause,” McGowan said. “We have both known people that suffered from cancer, and it is just a great feeling to be able to help them and know you are making a difference,” said McGowan.
Susquehannock has been showing their support for the Mini-THON by allowing the middle school to ‘can’ at sporting events. SHS also gave the Mini-THON members a room during October Fun Night to raise awareness for the cause.
“The High School has helped us out alot with Mini-THON, and it will definitely make a difference,” Woods stated.
Both schools look forward to March 1.