Club sports takeover student-athletes

Walking through the hallways are student-athletes who are not only playing sports for our school but who are also playing for different club teams all around York County.

The wide variety of different sports included in the club sports circle are baseball, soccer, volleyball, hockey, lacrosse, basketball, etc. Many students would agree that they choose to play these sports outside of the school as well as sports in school because of the opportunities to meet new people, to be seen by college scouts across the nation, and to possibly become even better at the sport they love to play.
Junior Ryan Chilcoat plays club soccer for FC York and explains the best aspect about playing a club sport.

“Club soccer challenges you,” said Chilcoat. “You play harder teams that you wouldn’t have the opportunity to play during school ball.”

The club soccer season runs all year round and includes as many as 20 tournaments for the teams to participate in. With a variety of different players coming from numerous school districts, the teams are compiled of the best athletes that the coaches can have play.
Club sports, although helpful for the future, can take up many hours a week through practices and tournaments.
Student-athletes all throughout the school devote their time outside of school and even during the summer to play a sport.
Junior Olivia Bond plays club lacrosse for the York Invaders and recommends other players to start playing lacrosse for a club.

“I would recommend playing club lacrosse to other players,” said Bond. “You get to meet new people that have the same interests as you. It helps you become better at lacrosse and also in life.”

These clubs take away from student’s lives by cutting time away from schoolwork, friends and family, but give them an even greater satisfaction by challenging them and making them not only better players, but people as well.

The chance to be looked at by colleges is also a huge attraction to the club sport world.

Playing club sports can get help an athlete become better at the sport they love to play and can help make an entrance into a higher level of play. College showcases occur all around the county and can help get an athlete’s face seen by college scouts across the nation. The chance to play at a college and possibly a professional level is the dream that most athletes hold in their hearts.