January music releases

This month’s release of albums includes a variety of music styles  such as metal, rock, pop and indie (independent).

A lot of these new albums, although familiar styles, are not from mainstream artists.

Hollywood Undead’s new album, Notes From the Underground, was released January 8 and has received positive reviews. The 11-track album provides a variety of styles of rock and metal and even incorporates some rap in their sound.

Previewing the album, it is definitely sinister as well as personal, and it shows how the band pushed their boundaries. This album is the third installment in their discography.

Another rising genre of music is the indie music scene.

The indie genre of music comes from artists that release music on smaller labels that are independent from the mainstream music business.

Indie rock is a term used to describe music that is popular on college radio stations. This type of music has expanded in style and popularity since its debut in the 1980’s.

Released on January 28, Heartthrob by Tegan and Sara falls under the indie rock/pop style. Right from the start, the band reveals the quality of their work.

The first track “Closer” has an 80’s synthesizer style sound, soaring lyrics, and power chords that flow perfectly together. It is a great way to kick off the album, and show what the rest has in store for the listener.

Having listened to this record in its entirety, it is a solid record and showcases the band’s classic sound.

Overall, a good amount of music was released this month. Some is worth listening to, and some is not. It’s all your preference.