High expectations for love

“The Notebook,” “Dear John,”  and the newest, “Safe Haven,” are all perfect works of art by the marvelous Nicholas Sparks, but have these romantic cinematic masterpieces provided females with unrealistic expectations for their real life relationships?
Channing Tatum showing off a small closed mouth smile at an interview. By Gage Skidmore (Channing Tatum) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

The popularity of these movies, and many others, are due to the hope given to the audience in finding one’s “true love”- a wish most women have at one time or another.
Whether the movies help one recall a past relationship, current flame, or potential ideal soulmate, the emotion utilized in these films are directly related to one’s personal life.
Once the movie ends and the storyline is completed, some people try to continue or mimic the type of passion in their own relationship that they just saw in the film. The problem with this is that Nicholas Sparks created these as stories of fiction not reality.
Even though the type of love that is depicted is possible, there are rarely cases in which couples have a flawless relationship, especially in high school.
During one’s late teenage years one may become disillusioned by these films.
Being so young, some females begin to expect their high school sweethearts to miraculously turn into Channing Tatum or Ryan Gosling, which is obviously unrealistic.
The difference between a high school guy and a grown man is an enormous difference in maturity, compassion, and understanding.
This doesn’t mean that all hope is lost for a chance at one day finding a soulmate.
Girls need to realize that love in high school can end up like a fairy tale one day, but growing up too fast can be detrimental to a relationship.
These movies are an excellent form of entertainment, but it is important to remember that one cannot base relationships off of the high expectations given in these romantic films.