Art students create a brighter school

Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland. A girl is depicted sitting on the landing between the first and second floor of the tower stairwell.
   Look; is there a girl sitting on the stairs? Look again. The depiction of a girl sitting in the tower stairwell is only one of many portraits now painted throughout the school.

Art teacher Wade Bowers’s students have been working on these shadow paintings in the hallways, stairwells, and cafeteria.
Bowers, along with fellow art teacher Wesley Myers, supervise the Art Club and their activities.
   “We take photographs of them in the pose that they want to do. We upload that to Photoshop, add a threshold effect to it, and minimize the values to one. We then print that out and copy them onto a transparency. Then it is projected onto the wall and traced with paint,” said Bowers.

Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland. The Life Skills class created a mural in the cafeteria with the quote “Without diversity, the world would lose its color.”
   Over the past months these student artists have also teamed up with the Life Skills classes to create many detailed, creative, and colorful paintings. Those which are in the cafeteria were done by Bowers’s Life Skills class, and the remaining are being created by Art Club members. Since Art  Club is not a class, the students only meet every other week and make time to individually work on the paintings.
Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland. Art students have been creating this mural in the English hallway which shows students at lockers.

Sophomore Hannah Wistort is helping to create the murals. “It’s nice to get the opportunity to leave your mark on the school in a creative and expressive way,” said Wistort.

Other than giving Art Club members more experience, the murals are also meant to bring some life to the dull grey and pale green walls that line the school.

Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland. Although many murals are on the first floor, some are in the basement, including the one shown above.

Photo by: Ashleigh Sharland. This mural, in the hallway leading to the cafeteria, has been a work in progress and is one of the more colorful murals being done.