Head swimming coach Wingert gives update on the team

Coach Wingert high-fives one of his swimmers. Photo by: Dallas Gittings

Head swimming coach Brian Wingert discusses the progress of the swim team, revealing inside information on how the season has been and where it is going.

Q: How has the season been going so far?
A: Very well. There have been a lot of kids having their best times or very close to their best times from last year.

Q: What was the best part of the season thus far?
A: It has all been very good, I’ve had a really great time the entire season. I would say…probably our first meet at the Dover Invitational because everyone was swimming well, they had a good attitude, and their heads were in the game.  They were very ready to go.

Q: What is your favorite thing about coaching the swim team?
A: Really, just the family dynamic that we have.  There’s a running joke in swim team.  They call me ‘Dad,’ and they call the assistant coach ‘Mom.’  If Mom yells at them, they say, “Dad, Mom yelled at me!” The whole team itself has a very close, friendly, family environment.

Q: What is your least favorite thing about coaching swim team?
A: The fact that I’m away from my family from 6:00 in the morning until 6:30-7 o’clock at night.  I see my son for about half an hour to an hour a day before he goes to bed…that’s the hardest part.

Q: What do you expect out of your next meet?
A: I expect to win.  I expect both boys and girls to win.  Boys- we’re going to have to fight for [a win]. I don’t think we’re in danger of losing, but we can’t make mistakes.  We’ve got to be on top of our game.  West York is a pretty good team.  They don’t have as much depth as we do, but they’ve got as much speed.

Q: What do you expect the rest of the season to be like?
A: We’ve got a lot of meets.  They’re going to be in rapid succession. I expect a lot of good stuff the second half of the year. We have easier meets the second half of the year.  They load us up in the front with some really tough teams, so there [are] going to be close meets.  It’s going to be exciting, a lot of action.

Q: What are some traits that are important in a swimmer?
A: Dedication.  Swimmers do morning practices.  A lot of sports have special [times] where they do morning practices, and over break, they’ll do double days or something like that.  Swimmers do that all season, so they have to be dedicated to get up and be here at 6 o’clock in the morning, [handle] a full day of school ahead of them,  still have practice in the evening, and then [complete] homework.

Q: Is there a message you have for your student athletes? If so, what is it?
A: I know the work is hard, both schoolwork and practice, but if you persevere, you’ll see the payoff in the end.